Ray Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses

Ray Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses In 1952 the company Ray Ban introduced a new style of sunglasses to the world, know as the Wayfarer. Their plastic design was a new and interesting change for the world from the usual glasses with frames made of metal, and they were the first of many glasses designers to use plastic. Like the Ray Ban - Aviators, the Wayfarer was originally designed for pilots, but quickly made their way onto the faces of men and women everywhere.

Despite the fact the advertisements for Wayfarers were directed towards men at first, the stylish trapezoidal shaped glasses found themselves on the bridges of noses of (female) Hollywood Starlits, such as Marilyn Monroe and Kim Novak. For those who remember the movie, Breakfast at Tiffany's might remember Aubrey Hepburn wearing her own huge pair of Wayfarer sunglasses.

Through rough times in the 1970's where the Wayfarers were almost discontinued, but then saved by a $50,000 contract to put the glasses in movies such as [u]Risky Business[/i] in 1983. In the 1980's the glasses possibly reached their peak of popularity and were worn by many celebrities and the average Joe.

Again, in the 1990's the Wayfarers went through a rough patch, that ended with a redesign into their current style using lighter plastic and less angular frames. But, now we see the once popular Ray Ban- Wayfarers brought back into style by celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, and the ever so famous Nick Jonas.

And once again, like all modern day fashion trends the classic style remains but you can get them in a wide variety of colors after they were "colorized" in early 2008. And once again we see the vintage sunglasses on every street corner on the faces of men and women of many ages.

Latest articles