Sellout?

Sellout? Earlier tonight I was on MySpace, and read a questionaire that one of my friends had done, and posted in a bulletin. It was a various survey, asking random questions. Some of them were about music. One was "What do you think about Fall Out Boy?" to which she replied "sellout." Which led me to question: what exactly is a sellout?!

I also did the questionaire and under the same question under her word "sellout." I put "^^what exactly is a sellout, first of all. And they're amazing anyway." She commented me and said "they used to be good. then they sold out and sucked cause they didn't sound awesome anymore." What does that mean? Just because they changed their music up means they've "sold out"?

Just because they've changed their sound up (and I'm not saying they didn't, they've changed their sound a lot, but not in a bad way.) because they didn't want their latest record to be like their previous three? Just because you don't like the new music makes them a sellout? No!

I replied to her saying "Haha how do you figure that? Just because they've changed their sound up doesn't make them a sellout, or just because you don't like it". I've yet to get a reply.

But are other bands like Panic At The Disco a sellout too then, because their sophomore album sounds so much different than their debut? No! (And this is all despite the split.)

If Fall Out Boy and Panic At The Disco are sellouts then every other band in the world must be a sellout too, right? Because their albums don't sound the same as their previous ones? Or because you don't how they changed their sound? No!

It just makes no sense how one can label a band as "sellout" just because they don't like their new sound, or how they've changed things up. That's what makes a band a band! Different sound! A sellout would be (and this is honestly in my opinion) when a band puts out too many albums too often, and then they clash, and their sound can't work anymore, not because you don't like their music anymore.

Latest articles