The Anti-Feminist World of Twilight

The Anti-Feminist World of Twilight The Twilight craze is sweeping the nation, and I have no idea why. I can admit, the first time I read the books I was taken aback with the masterpiece that was Edward Cullen. Oh, his glitter in the sunlight blinded my 14-year-old eyes and I just couldn’t contain myself. Then I grew up and realized - this guy is a creep.

It’s not the vampirism. To be completely honest, the idea of a cross-species relationship isn’t that bad of an idea for a fantasy, if it hadn’t already been done well. Do you remember Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Those vampires didn’t sparkle, and Buffy knew how to keep them in line.

Anyway, the inside front cover of Stephenie Meyer’s Breaking Dawn says it all: “When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options. How could you run, how could you fight, when doing so would hurt that beloved one? If your life was all you had to give, how could you not give it? If it was someone you truly loved?”

Excuse me? What? Yes, we live in a new fantasy world where vampires are suddenly not evil creatures of the night, but that doesn’t equal dying to become one. Bella’s submissive behavior doesn’t even begin with her teenage marriage, or her determination to carry the demon spawn Mr. Dazzle has impregnated her with (which does, in fact, end up “killing her” - go Team Edward!).

I won’t elaborate on her lack of backbone in Twilight, but it goes something like this: she can’t even participate in gym class without falling on her face? Does Edward need to save her from the scary volleyball? Really? Really?

No, this is about women’s clear dependence on men exhibited in Meyer’s New Moon. A quick plot summary: Dazzle boy leaves helpless girl after she gets a paper cut and his “brother” almost kills her. Girl cries and cries for months. After girl meets new boy (this time it’s a Native American werewolf!), she starts breaking her gender roles. She and Jacob buy matching motorcycles and Bella realizes that any time she experiences a thrill she hears Edward’s voice in her head telling her to be careful.

Being driven to insanity by an obsessive control-freak boyfriend? Jumping off a cliff to hear his voice seems like a great solution. Bella survives, of course, but I personally would never decide to jump off a cliff to hear my boyfriend reprimand me. That’s just a no-no in my book. But they end up happy in the end, I guess. Bella decides to marry Edward, even though she has always been opposed to marriage. She carries his child, and her life is defined.

Sorry, but I thought we went over this. Aren’t men and women supposed to be equal? Maybe there are different rules for vampire societies.

Latest articles