Rove McManus: “Say bye to your mum for me!”

Rove McManus: “Say bye to your mum for me!” The final words spoken by Australian television presenter Rove McManus on Sunday night as he announced his TV show Rove would not be returning in 2010.

McManus began the show with his usual opening monologue before sitting down at his desk and, in a calm and relaxed tone, announced to the studio audience – and viewers watching at home – that he had made the choice of ending the show’s 10 year run. A choice that shocked many.

“It's purely my decision,” McManus said. “It's not one I've made lightly or flippantly. The timing was right to stop, stand back and see what happens next.”

Rumours of Rove not returning to TV the following year began circulating when it was absent from the list of shows Channel Ten promoted at a recent function to announce its programming agenda for 2010.

It is unknown what the future holds for Rove, but further speculations include a radio gig for early 2010, when he and fellow cast mate, Peter Helliar, were spotted out at lunch last week with Merrick Watts – a radio presenter on the Merrick & Rosso & Kate Ritchie Breakfast Show – after both Rosso and Ritchie announced their departures.

Rove McManus rose to fame with his variety television show Rove in 1999 on the Nine Network, which lasted a season before being pulled off the air. It was then picked up by Channel Ten the following year and renamed Rove Live. The popular television show, which earned McManus three gold Logies, was known for its weekly showcase of celebrity guests, comedy acts, variety segments and live bands. It celebrated its 10 year anniversary special earlier in the year.

Latest articles