Adam Lambert's AMA Performance As Risque as People Say? - Comments

  • where the heck does forgiveness come into this?

    vvvvvvvvvvvvv
    November 26th, 2009 at 08:47pm
  • I really have never liked Eminem, so I could say anything I wanted about him. However, isn't life just about forgiving and forgetting? Sure he did something inappropriate, but we do too. Look at Brittany Spears or Miley Cyrus. They've done really inappropriate stuff in the past, but most of us have forgiven them. Why is Adam Lambert any different? Why is Eminem any different? Just because they're guys? Because Adam's gay?
    November 26th, 2009 at 08:42pm
  • i haven't seen the performance yet but i want to even more now. thanks publicity. i wasn't even going to bother since i get to see the stuff a few days later. but it'll be censored for me. which sucks. hopefully youtube will have it up n_n.

    but yeah, america needs to stop acting like bunch of prudes about some stuff. let it go. just lately there are complaints about clothing optional beaches *rolls eyes*.
    November 26th, 2009 at 08:07pm
  • Adam Lambert Didn't win American Idol. He Came In Second. Kris Allen Won.
    And personally... i don't care what he did. I mean its over and done with.
    No use crying about it now. You can't change it since it already happened.
    I don't think it mattters. Everyone needs to just Let It Go.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:45pm
  • I thought Kris Allen won American Idol? But anyway. I am so sick of hearing about it. It is a fucking good song, and Adam Lambert was fucking loved on American Idol, yet now they start all this shit about how it was innappropriate. Fuck the haters. They can go suck a fat one.
    November 26th, 2009 at 10:49am
  • The BJ was thing was pretty inappropriate, as were the guys on leashes, but I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. There [i]is[/i] a double standard. Some people say that he shouldn't have "forced his sexuality down people's throats," but that's ridiculous. It's okay for a hetero female artist to dance around in scantily clad costumes with a bunch of men onstage, but it's not okay for Adam to have a performance that is just as sexual as that? And let's face it, homophobia is partly the reason why some (not all) hated it. He said himself that he wants to shock people and take risks, and that's exactly what he did. Now, I'm not surprised ABC canceled his performance, but I highly doubt Adam would've done a repeat of his AMA performance on Good Morning America. His vocals weren't good, but nobody sounded that great, to be honest, except for Kelly Clarkson and Lady Gaga. I heard there were some sound/mix issues. Hell, even Green Day didn't sound that great. But one bad performance doesn't automatically mean Adam's suddenly a terrible singer now that he's off Idol. He's not perfect. His voice is not going to sound extraordinary every single time he performs. He's allowed to make mistakes. He's said himself that he didn't sound that great.

    There were parts that [i]were[/i] inappropriate for ABC, but had he done the exact same thing at the VMA's on MTV, it would've gotten just as much attention. And this obviously hasn't ruined his career. The day his album came out on Monday, the deluxe version was number 6 on iTunes and the regular version was number 8, and just yesterday, it moved up to number 4, beating the New Moon soundtrack. I don't know where it is now, but the fact that his album cracked the Top Ten on iTunes it's first [i]day[/i], especially him being a new artist, is pretty damn good. Love him or hate him, you have to acknowledge that.

    What I like is that he's not apologizing for what he did. Adam's not a babysitter. It's not his job to tone down what he does and cater to the needs of his younger fans just because they don't understand it. It's not like a ten-year-old will be scarred for life if he or she saw him kiss a man on tv, and they probably won't even understand the simulated BJ thing. I know I wouldn't of I'd seen that kind of thing when I was a kid.

    Ridiculous and over-the-top? Totally. He's been an over-the-top performer since I've watched him on Idol this season. I'm really not surprised that he did this. Still, I don't think it's as terrible as people are making it out to be. And I agree with [b]druscilla will fly.[/b] Whether people abhorred the performance, they're still talking about it and giving him more attention, and that's what musicians want.

    Also, there were 14.2 million people watching. 1500 complaints out of 14 million isn't bad at all.
    November 26th, 2009 at 07:27am
  • No, I don't think it was. Because of the time frame and because of other things that have happened on the AMAs before, the Grammy's before. I don't consider it to be as wrong as others say it was. ABC received 1500 comments about what happened. They, themselves, said that was "moderate".

    Either way, the backlash has people talking and if they're talking, bad or good, it means you did something right.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:54am
  • And @Your.Pink.Diary is completely correct. If this had happened on MTV, it probably would have been as much attention on it. But considering it happened on ABC, which is mostly a family oriented channel- correct me if I am wrong- you can't help but EXPECT this backlash. If a femalexfemale kiss had happened on this channel, there would DEFINIETLY be a stink over it.

    And also agreeing with your/pink.diary. He stimulated a BLOWJOB. He shoved someone's face in his CROTCH. How is that even remotely appropriate anywhere and for anyone? Keep that stuff on the stage where your fans, who understand you, can appreciate it. But understand that not everyone is going to cheer for your sexual acts.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:38am
  • No, there is no ignoring the double standard- which I think is wrong. But I think hiding behind the "OMG DEY HATEZ ME CUZ I'M GAYZ" can only last so long, and the double standard does not excuse an abismal performance that had little to do with singing and more to do with being outlandish and, excuse my frankness, ridiculous. Though, of course he can do whatever he wants, but he and his fans need to expect blacklash and harsh critisms for it.

    Once again, I don't agree with the double standard. If two famous hookers can kiss on stage, then an openly gay male should be able to aswell. But like I said, the Madonna and Britney kiss also garnered some harsh media attention, so Adam shouldn't expect any different. And once again, Michael Buckely, who is a big Adam Lambert fan AND gay agreed that the performance was ridiculous.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:35am
  • @ [b]The Way[/b] But what you're forgetting is the Britney/Madonna thing was on MTV, while the AMA's were on ABC. Completely different channels geared towards completely different audiences. So it's not entirely fair to compare them.

    But really a guy kissing a guy, not so 'shocking' these days. Stimulating oral sex during an awards show? Very controversial. The kiss I could care less about. But I thought shoving someones face into his crotch was unbelievably inappropriate for an awards show. There are some things you just shouldn't do. And that was crossing a line.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:31am
  • I was really disappointed by Adam's performance. I loved him on American Idol, but I'm beginning to think I overestimated him. I actually didn't notice how inappropriate the dancing was, I was mostly floored by how bad his vocals sounded. The only thing I did notice about the dancing was how awkward it seemed. Adam has a beautiful voice and I wish he'd focus more on making good music and less on being the male version of Lady Gaga.
    November 26th, 2009 at 06:19am
  • Yet another double standard.

    It's TOTALLY fine for girls to kiss girls because that's just so hot to a male audiance. But the second a Gay guy pulls that shit it's censored.
    November 26th, 2009 at 05:33am
  • November 26th, 2009 at 05:07am
  • Chemical Heart, in a recent interview Adam said that lots of the overtly sexual things were unrehearsed, and were done in the heat of the moment/adrenaline.
    November 26th, 2009 at 04:46am
  • For all the general public know, it was probably done purposely to cause controversy. That's why they sometimes do scandalous things, but it makes sure that everybody knows who they are.

    Most idol stars tend to disappear after a year or so, and I guess it's important that they try to make themselves stick around on the scene.
    November 26th, 2009 at 04:17am
  • If the people didn't like his performance they should have turned the bloody channel, it isn't that hard! So what if he did those things? Get over it, it has been done and it has passed.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:47am
  • Okay, I'm not gonna get into this whole debate because eh, lots of people are saying things they don't know jack shit about.

    But honestly, saying this isn't about double standards? Adam was on CBS [The Early Show] recently and they were comparing the AMA kiss to the Britney/Madonna one. They blurred the AMA kiss but was perfectly fine with showing the latter on daytime TV. It just proved Adam's point.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:45am
  • I'd just like to add to [b]Ekscape the Fate[/b] that Adam said the same thing. Adam Lambert just came out on the music scene.
    Madonna and Britney are freaking icons. I'm not excusing what they did either, but that was going a bit too far, doing something like that when he hasn't even been around for two years.
    It's much like when he compared himself to Alice Cooper and Bowie.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:30am
  • I didn't mind the whole "0mgz boyxboy, that's awful, let's go make a big stink about it!" nature of the performance.
    If he wants to do that somewhere else, by all means, he can go knock himself out!
    But really? On national tv? I may not be a young child but that was WAY more than I wanted to see.
    Not [i]risque,[/i] just incredibly tasteless.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:27am
  • People are bloody pansies these days, there is the power of the remote control with the off switch n00bz.
    November 26th, 2009 at 03:18am