Adam Lambert Speaks About AMA Performance

Adam Lambert Speaks About AMA Performance Adam Lambert finally spoke up about his AMA performance on the Ellen DeGeneres show on December 1, 2009. Lambert admitted that before he went on stage to perform his controversial and sexual performance, he was nervous about it. His AMA performance made headlines for much of the days after the AMAs premiered.

“I get nervous a lot, I just learned how to hide it,” Lambert said on the show, “Yeah, here and there. I was nervous the other night.”

Lambert admitted that he thinks he may have taken his performance that night just a bit too far. Lambert said that he thinks it may not have been best second impression he could have made on the public. But he says he had fun and his band and dancers had fun with the performance as well. But even though Lambert admitted that he believes he took things too far, he doesn’t think he needs to apologize for his performance. Even though his dad thought that it would be a good idea for him to do so. Lambert stood his ground stating that he believes the media coverage took the performance and blew it out of proportions on the fact he is a gay man.

"I think people aren't used to seeing gay man portrayed that way on TV," he went on to say, "the gay-male image in the media tends to be very cliché and safe... I think I got up there and put more energy. A little more than I was attempting to in interpreting the lyrics of the song.”

Lambert continued that statement on to say that he was trying to put on a rock star, dangerous persona. He wanted to be like that after seeing Lady Gaga perform. Lambert admits that he got caught up in the moment and took things too far. ABC reportedly received 1,500 complaints about Lambert’s performance making them cancel his Good Morning America performance that was scheduled. Lambert claims there are no hard feelings against ABC and understands why they canceled his performance. ABC claimed that they canceled Lambert’s show because they were not comfortable showing such controversial nature so early in the morning. ABC released this statement on why they canceled his appearance:

“Given his controversial live performance on the AMAs, we were concerned about airing a similar concert so early in the morning.”

While Lambert does not have any hard feelings against ABC, he is not going to take the complaints without putting in his opinion on the subject. Lambert made a statement against the complaints ABC received and about his own performance using this statement:

“There are a lot of double standards as far as that goes. We've seen female pop and rock performers do that for the last 10 years. They've been very provocative, owning their power and sexuality. You just don't see men doing it very often. And I'm hoping to break down that double standard with this number.”

Latest articles