Jim Hutton Dies At 60

Jim Hutton Dies At 60 Jim Hutton, Freddie Mercury’s (founder and former singer/lyricist/pianist of Queen) last known lover, died on New Year's Day from a smoking related illness. He was sixty years old.

Even though Jim only passed away three days ago, the controversy of Freddie and Jim’s relationship is resurfacing and the truth is already being misconstrued. Contrary to belief, Jim did not pass away from AIDS related complications; Brian May, Queen’s guitarist, wrote on his homepage that Jim died from a smoking-related illness.

Not much is known about Jim Hutton; he was a very private, kind and gentle man, who was not accustom to Freddie’s fame, and was as uncomfortable with the attention Queen was getting as Freddie was. Also contrary to popular belief, Freddie Mercury was a shy, quiet and guarded person who rarely gave interviews because he was awkward with discussing his personal and even professional life with people he did not know or trust. Same went for Jim Hutton.

Jim and Freddie met at a bar in 1984. Freddie offered to buy him a drink, and Jim obliged. He didn’t recognize Freddie until his friend said, “Hey, Freddie Mercury is behind you.” Jim drank his drink and the two talked for a while, but nothing happened for another year. About eighteen months later, the two met up again at the same bar, and the same situation went down - Freddie bought Jim a drink, but this time, they got together and Jim ended up moving in the Garden Lodge with Freddie about two years later.

When Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987, he offered Jim an exit on their relationship. He told Jim he would understand if he left. In a Freddie Mercury documentary, Jim recalls telling him, “I love you, Freddie - I’m not going anywhere.” And he didn’t; Jim stayed with Freddie until he died. He nursed him, cared for him, and was there when he took his last breath.

Jim passed away in his home in Ireland.

Latest articles