Vampire Overkill

Vampire Overkill "Can we suck the myth dry," asks David Germain of The Associated PressIn 2009, he wrote an article in about Vampire Overkill. Lately, I couldn't help but think the same thing. With shows and movies such as "Twilight", "True Blood", and most recently "Vampire Diaries," could we be sucking the myth dry with all of the alternative stories behind the original myth created by Bram Stoker himself? I've been finding it hard to find a story, show or movie with vampires associated in it with out thinking, "Dear god, another one with vampires in it." And don't get me wrong, I have a great passion for vampires but not when they are over done.

I personally think that "Twilight" started the overkill for me. I enjoyed the books very much, far before the craze hit. But when the screaming 13 year old girls following came into play for the book series, I lost all hope for any enjoyment of the movies. It won't stop me from watching them but it did, if you will, suck the fun out of it.

I have to give credit to those who try to break out of the original vampire and try something different, though. But if you can't give it your all, what's the point in trying at all? I think that Hollywood will soon find out that they will suck us dry of our love for vampires. Though, deep inside I know that vampires will have a spot in all our hearts. They will never be forgotten and in ten or so years, someone will start the vampire hype all over again. Then the vicious cycle will begin again.

Latest articles