Vampire Overkill - Comments

  • The concept of the modern vampire is just perplexing. If one is infected, I believe a chemical changes might occur (like a mental or physical for blood), but you're not going to have things like superhuman strength or increased beauty. The only possible way to improve a body is either changing genetics (which doesn't happen) or adjusting the body by means of surgery. I think I just ruined vampires for everyone.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 05:57am
  • I agree to the maximum. I feel like the world is being drowned in vampires. The industry saw how much success Twilight was making, so everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I used to love reading and watching vampire fiction. But now? Not so much. True Blood, Vampire Diaries, The Gates, Moon...whatever the heck it's called, and so on. It's getting crazy. I can't even go into the bookstore without having vampire overflow.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 08:47am
  • I completely agree!

    I started reading Twilight in 2006, a year after the first book came out. I was obsessed with the series far before anyone even [i]knew[/i] what Twilight was. But after the movie came out and all the stupid merchandise and young fans surrounding it, I've lost my love for Twilight. I find it quite sad how all the original lovers of Twilight now can barely even stand it because of the overkill in the media and in society.

    Don't get me wrong, I still [i]love[/i] Twilight and Vampires; I just wish people would stop obsessing over them to the point where it's complete overkill.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 06:56am
  • I'm all for the brutal and mysterious vampire types, so I can't say I'll ever be sick of the idea of a vampire (if that makes sense).

    Yet, I'm going to have to agree with you on certain points.
    There's only so many ways you can do something before killing a piece of its "soul".
    July 2nd, 2010 at 05:53am
  • This is more of a journal entry.

    And Bram Stoker certainly did not come up with vampires. That legend has been around for many years. Changed, yes, but not created in the 1800's.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 05:45am
  • Overkill there is.
    Twilight started it and in my opinion Twilight will end it once the movies are done.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 05:06am
  • I've never really been a big fan of vampires and this new fad hasn't helped much. I have to say one of the only Vampire series I enjoy that's out now is True Blood. In my opinion Twilight ruined the good, or should I say bad, name of vampires, overly romanticizing them.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 03:59am
  • ok i love vampires, and werewolves, and all that stuff. but their has been a huge overkill, and i mean come on, like littlecat said why would they suddenly change everything for one human.

    since this vampire thing started there had been a ton of movies and stuff about vampires and the only two i liked was underworld:rise of the lycans (because underworld has been out forever and they had to add some background to the story) and the vampires assistant (because it is actually really good and doesnt have the human falling in love with vampire thing that just isnt fun anymore)
    July 2nd, 2010 at 03:42am
  • I agree with what most people have said. I enjoyed Stephanie Meyer's twist on vampires when the books were still young and unpopular, it was different to the 'seduce girl, kill girl, be killed' plot that was so famous among authors, but now it has found it's fame, all Twilight has succeeded in doing is setting the new plot of 'fall in love with human girl'. It makes me wonder where all the original writers have gone.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 01:20am
  • i totally agree. i like vampires, but i hate twilight and now anything else that is related to vampires. everything is about them these days, and i'm sick of it. nothing is original anymore.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 12:19am
  • There is a vampire over-kill and I think that Twilight did kick it off a bit.

    I still like the vampire stories, one really good vampire series to check out is The Morganville Vampires. These vampires actually hide from the sun.

    While i quite like the way that Meyer has put her own twist on vampires it was quite obvious that by the end of the series she was grasping at straws and made Twilight far too much of a 'pre-teen' read. Whilst the characters are all 16+ her target audience is 13 year olds who can't read about violence or romance for fear of their innocent little minds that get taught about sex ed at the age of 10/11 (at least they do in the UK not too sure about the US and other countries).

    However, reading an interview with one of my favourite authors, Kelley Armstrong (look her up for a supernatural world with only one, yes ONE, vampire to speak for the blood-sucking community in it), she gave an answer that was basically an accomplished author will find out what the latest trend is, what their audience want and then they will write a story about it.

    It's not that people are trying to out-do Twilight, they're simply jumping on the bandwagon because it's the bandwagon that will get them the most money. Once Breaking Dawn comes out on film just wait and the vampire-hype will diminish and you'll find other books stepping into the light.

    It'll be so refreshing, won't it?
    July 1st, 2010 at 11:51pm
  • I completely agree, TheCoreysGirl. I think those who break and try something new are great. But sometimes they flop on the trial, which okay, it's how we make better stories.
    July 1st, 2010 at 11:47pm
  • I myself think that people who try to break away from the original vampire and try something different are very neat writers and authors. :)
    July 1st, 2010 at 11:42pm
  • I totally agree with this article but I'm sure all you vamp heads out there like myself are enjoying all this vamp hype like, True blood and vamp diaries and other vamp related movies. (Except Twilight movies cause they are pretty bad.) Surely vamps will never die its just all this falling in love and romance stuff that needs to go. cool article ^_^
    July 1st, 2010 at 10:36pm
  • Stoker didn't create vampires. He took the original legends and made them mainstream. I remember when liking vampires made you a weird Goth freak. I remember when people who wore vampire fangs when it wasn't Halloween were scoffed at. I agree with littlecat. about the rate of Twilight movie releases. It feels kind of like they're trying to rush through them and get them over with. There isn't a lot of time for suspense and anticipation between films. And I don't even like Twilight! This is the problem with things becoming really popular. It becomes like a formula. People go, "Oh well, this was popular as all hell. I can make something like it but just tweak a few things, and I'll make millions!" That's where we get the overkill. Greed.
    July 1st, 2010 at 10:34pm
  • So true. And what happened to the sadistic, non-loving, sun fearing vampires?

    I can't wait for some material to come out that will kill the fashionable fantasy about falling in love with a vampire. They kill humans constantly, why would they change their ways for one girl?

    However, at the rate the Twilight movies are being made, the fad will all be over and done with by next year. Let's all hold on until then!
    July 1st, 2010 at 10:09pm
  • Yes, there is overkill. I can't even think about reading a book about vampires anymore because I feel like they all have the same line. And all the shows are killing me to. I liked it better when there was only three or four movies about it a year and like, one TV show. I feel like, people are trying to out-do Twilight, even though that's not very hard, and now they're just over doing it instead.
    July 1st, 2010 at 08:55pm