t.A.T.u. - Friend or Foe?

t.A.T.u. - Friend or Foe? Perhaps an ex-member of t.A.T.u., Yulia Volkova has recently stated in a Russian interview that she does not agree with (perhaps) former band member Elena Katina’s actions, and that she believes her solo career will fail. On the 17th of July, Yulia said this to a reporter: “She [Lena] has the right to do it [sing t.A.T.u. songs], but it's so stupid, absolutely stupid. If you do a solo career, it means that you do your own work. Her stuff, that she makes, I think, is silly and very soon her career will wither away and disappear.” Elena, who has gained more success with her solo career than Yulia, responded in her video blog with “I saw Yulia's interview. Of course I got upset. But I want to tell everybody that I have a completely opposite attitude towards the whole situation, Yulia's project included. I believe she's a very talented person and I sincerely hope that she'll be successful in all the things she plans. I guess some of you were waiting for my comment about this, so it was the comment to the situation and to the discussion on the forum.”

Yulia Volkova and Lena Katina first gained worldwide fame in 2002, as seventeen year olds, for being the lead roles of a band project called t.A.T.u. With their first English single “All The Things She Said” came success and criticism from various sources, resulting in both fame and infamy. t.A.T.u. was a band mostly known as ‘Two young Russian lesbians’ despite the fact that the sexuality was a publicity stunt forced onto them by their manager. Over the years, t.A.T.u. have released six albums – mostly three Russian and English versions of each other, with some varying material.

In 2009, the band’s official website and MySpace page stated that the project of t.A.T.u. has been put on hiatus, giving the girls a chance to work on solo projects. Lena Katina has released a song as a free download on the official t.A.T.u. website, while Yulia Volkova has failed to release any pieces. Katina’s first solo performance took place on the 30th of May this year. She is set to release an album later in 2010.

It is still widely questioned by fans whether t.A.T.u. will go on, or will have stopped permanently, due to the conflict between the girls, and the possibility of solo successes.

Sources

Interview with Yulia
Lena's video blog
Insider's blog
Official t.A.T.u. website

Latest articles