Monsters: The Truth Behind Vanity

Monsters: The Truth Behind  Vanity Dracula, Prince of the Darkness, always in for a drink of blood, specially if it's from a young and beautiful lady. Werewolves, vicious beasts with a special liking for human flesh. The Mummy, an ancient and evil sorcerer brought back from the dead, seeking revenge against those who woke him up, bound to by a timeless curse. Frankenstein, a man created from scratch using several parts from different corpses, always asking what was his purpose in this world.

All of this monsters, all of these beasts, had such history and such relevance in our society. These monsters reflect the desires and fears of the human being. A strength surpassing that of Hercules. The possibility of man being able to create and give life. Having powers that can cause empires to disappear. And the biggest desire for man: Immortality. And yet, looking deeper into these... Aren't these the same characteristics for which society condemned them? Aren't most of these monsters suffering because of their way of living and what they need to do for survival?

These monsters teach us to appreciate our life and yet, what have entertainment turned them to? Endless lovers? Heroes of a fantasy world that is too perfect to even exist? They changed their most primeval characteristics, so they could fit in a world based solely in appearance. Vampires, that instead of turning into dust by the touch of the sun, have their skin turned into looking-through glass. Werewolves that, instead of suffering from the most painful transformation into half-wolf half-human beast, turn effortlessly into wolves without any sign of craving for flesh or fear towards the full moon.

The mummy's story took a turn for the worst. The power that it has surpasses the limit of what is ridiculous. It goes farther than it should, and thus, brings down the image of this undead. Because, having all these powers that can even go against mere mortals? It's understandable if it has a limit. But in the most recent movies they gave it the power over elements, the ability to transform into mystical beasts, etc, etc. And it can't even secure it's own survival.

Nowadays, with image being everything, the most forgotten monster has been Frankenstein. Because, who would want to see a hideous monster that can't even wear a decent tight shirt? or have super cool powers? or has the face of a model? And what's worst, is that of all the monsters, he is the one that has the most insightful and painful of all of the stories. A creature going against all that was taught to all of us about God being the only one capable of giving life and taking it.

Created by Dr. Frankenstein, his life was an endless torture. Rejected by his own father, and by those he tried to help, he questioned again and again why was he there, why did he had life, why couldn't he be accepted. For him eternity was his punishment for going against nature, and that's why, he seeks revenge against the one who dared defy those Laws and created him, and that would leave him to rot in his own misery.

Many understand this pain, the pain of not fitting in and being treated badly just because you look different, not only now, but also years ago. But again, reality doesn't make you win money. Right now, entertainment sells the idea of an endless love and passion from beautiful vampires and the equally beautiful werewolves. There's no depth in those stories. No truth whatsoever, this tarnish the image that was created by those wonderful writers that wished to show the true face of humanity depicting it as what it truly is: a fearful creature that hides behind a mask, hoping live forever, even if it means a tortured and painful existence.

Latest articles