Monsters: The Truth Behind Vanity - Comments

  • thanks.... it's my first article, so I was kind of nervous and thought I did it horribly wrong. And yes I also respect what Audrey. T said. But with this article I meant that entertainment is using this wonderful stories into money making productions and that most stories while trying to teach us a moral of not trusting or judging somebody only on their looks, they don't have a depth anymore.
    October 2nd, 2010 at 06:03am
  • Oh, I liked this :D Amazing job!
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:23am
  • I really liked this atrial it really makes those creators from the past come back
    now i feel like watching an old Dracula movie ehhe
    September 23rd, 2010 at 12:29pm
  • I really like your article. I can respect what Audrey T. says to an extent. What you've written is true. Modern literature has lost its depth. Its become over run with clichés. Lost is good literature and replaced by novels suited for teenage girls. Sugary sweet stories with a happy ending and disgustingly unrealistic fantasies. I would like to see modern media romanticize and beautify Frankenstein. I would shit a gold brick.
    September 23rd, 2010 at 06:16am
  • THRUTH!

    ... Sorry...
    September 22nd, 2010 at 09:56pm
  • *Just a tiny thing I wanted to point out, the "werewolves" you're referring to aren't actually werewolves, but shape-shifters. Shape-shifters can, mostly, change at will, while werewolves are the ones who MUST turn at the moon.

    I really don't understand how people can be so close-minded about different takes on things that are ONLY myths. "No truth whatsoever..." Truth being what?

    I think a fact that people often forget is that these are MADE-UP creatures. There's not real, so how a person chooses to represent them cannot be wrong. It's an interpretation and all artists are entitled to see different things in it. Perhaps the "monsters" of old were meant to be hideous and frightening, in plain sight and easily detected, but I think there's also depth in the new "monsters." Monsters that more closely represents the troubles we have today. The wolf in sheep's clothing, the beautiful angelic faces that are black at heart. Because that's what we deal with in real life. In real life, the [i]truth[/i] is, we encounter people who are beautiful and successful but only so on the outside. People who lure you in with their looks and friendly exterior but would just as soon stab you in the back. I think that, if anything, the new "monsters" teach us a even better lesson. That looks can (and often are) deceiving. Not only with people who can emotional hurt you or physically attack and cause you harm, but even with things as frightening as diseases (STDs and the like) - where a person can be beautiful and [i]appear[/i] healthy, but be carrying a deadly disease and if that person is tormented enough about it, they may seek to cause others harm (like cases where people have purposely infected their partners with HIV/AIDs and other STDs out of spite).

    There's no doubt that there's been a major shift in how monsters and mythical creatures are portrayed in media, but it certainly isn't a bit thing. Different doesn't always have to mean worse, and I think that if people could be more open about the new view, they can see that it's just as meaningful and relevant, and has just as much depth.
    September 22nd, 2010 at 08:45pm