Good Charlotte: How Their Music Has Changed.

Good Charlotte: How Their Music Has Changed. I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the Maryland based band Good Charlotte, that formed in 1996. GC's first album was released in 2000, and was self-titled. Since then, they've released four other albums: The Young & the Hopeless, Chronicles of Life and Death, Good Morning Revival, and the most recent album, Cardiology.

Over the passed ten years, their sound has gone from a punk-urban kind of sound to an almost techno-pop. How did this happen?

The album, Good Charlotte, was a kind of punk sounding music. There were thirteen songs on the album, and the two most memorable songs from it were The Festival Song and The Little Things. The latter also listed on the second album.

The Young & the Hopeless was released in 2002. There were more noted songs that many of us know and enjoy, such as The Anthem, Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous, Girls & Boys, My Bloody Valentine, and the ever-so famous, Hold On. Hold On has regained many suicidal teens' hope to the world. The song has a deep meaning, showing us that there's more to life than it seems in a hard time. This album has more of a punky edge to it, but, in a way, it doesn't.

The third album (released in 2004), Chronicles of Life and Death, opens up to a softer kind of song. Towards the end of that song, it starts to get more intense. I Just Wanna Live was probably the most popular song from this song, if not Chronicles of Life and Death, the track in which the album is named after. This album also seems to be punkish.

Over the course of the next three years, Good Charlotte somehow transforms their music from punkish, to something not so Good Charlotte at all. The beats to the music on their fourth album, Good Morning Revival, became faster and more catchy. Songs like Misery, Dance Floor Anthem (I Don't Want to be in Love), and Break Apart Her Heart show that. The River is commonly known, especially to Avenged Sevenfold fans, considering M. Shadows and Synyster Gates made a special appearance on that track.

After that album, a lot of the Good Charlotte fans bailed out, due to the new, more catchy music. Good Morning Revival may have done well on the charts, but some fans just didn't like it.

The newest album, Cardiology, released on November 2nd, 2010, has stunned some of the GC fanbase. The album is almost completely techno-pop music, with some slower, not so techno songs. Other songs, such as Last Night and Alive are fast and upbeat, something that is completely odd compared to what GC started out as.

So far, Cardiology has gotten mixed reviews [about the band and their music path] and good reviews. The album is one bit leap from the original music that they started creating.

But, in ten years, it's possible for them to make that leap. How do the fans take that, though? Do they appreciate Good Charlotte's music, just because it's theirs? Or not?
Right now, I believe it's a big controversy of all GC's fans.

"I think that our goal in Good Charlotte is just to be Good Charlotte, and whatever happens, whatever that means, we don't even know, we just push on and tour and make music and do whatever."
-Joel Madden of Good Charlotte [GC].

Latest articles