Social Networking Sites: Negative or Positive?

We all know the most popular websites that have sprung up as the Internet has become widely accessibly. The fad began with sites such as Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter and has now expanded to seed other sites that solicit similar attention. Although many argue for that these sites are essential to continue contact with long distance friends, the main problem arises in the fact that strangers and criminals may also freely roam these areas.

A majority of adolescents are comfortable contacting people they are not truly familiar with in reality. Because youths are able to mask their appearances and faults with a computer screen, they may feel a false sense of security.

Another problem that arises is students who complain about the distractions of these sites that lead to missed deadlines and further procrastination habits. Not only teenagers are attracted by the presence of personal web pages. Adults, too, are caught up in the entertainment of these websites and continue to access these web pages at work and home. Not only has this created animosity by corporate bosses toward these attractions but it also raises concerns for what people are doing on company hours.

Is society as a whole leading itself down a path of destruction? Does the average person spend too many hours attached to checking their profiles? Or is this a necessary occurrence to further social contact with other parties and lost friends? Do we as a race run the risk of losing the great merit of human to human contact?

Latest articles