Ted Williams: The Golden Voice

In one of those surfing trips I take on the internet I came across this video on Youtube about a homeless man who would hold up a sign saying that he had the God-given talent of a golden voice. The man's name is Ted Williams and when I heard this man speak I was completely staggered by this man's unique talent. He became famous on Youtube at rocket-speed and now he's able to visit his mom who hadn't seen in about twenty four years. Imagine that. That means he hasn't seen his mother since the year of 1986.

This man was an ex-radio announcer that was struck down because of his bad decisions. He once had a home and he had everything he needed, but his addiction changed his life for many years. But now, he is given another chance.

When Ted Williams was on The Today Show, he opened up by talking about how he ended up being homeless, an alcoholic and addicted to crack. (He's been clean for two years.) Mr. Williams said that it was the drugs that had become the main element to his undoing.

Being homeless changed his perspective. Ted admitted not acknowledging God, never thanking God for anything. In other words he was never grateful for what he had until he found himself alone in the streets begging.

Williams was also asked how he came to develop this talent, he said that when he was a little boy he would listen to a lot of radio shows and that piqued his interest.  Ted Williams thought that since he couldn't act, he could use his talent for entertainment as a radio announcer. "Radio is the theater of the mind."

Now he already has a job as the official spokesman for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and he is also going to be working with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

From homeless to famous, this man is now given a second chance!

Now he's able to see his mother and the rest of his family after many years of wandering in the streets.

This has a lesson, and it's one I'm sure we've all heard more than once: Never judge a book by its cover.  Most of these homeless people are never given a chance because of their background or their appearance. We can't assume that by giving them money they'll all use it for drugs because that could not be the case. They could need it more than we do.

Ted Williams taught me how to be more thankful for what I already have because sometimes we could want more than we need while there are people that don't have good food to eat or clean clothes or even a place to sleep in.

So congratulations, Ted Williams, and good luck!

Latest articles