Slayer Members Hospitalized

Tom Araya, singer of the California-based metal band 'Slayer', has been hospitalized very late last month. This hospitalization caused the band to cancel a show at a major festival in Sydney, Australia, much to the dismay of their fans.

Araya suffered from a severe and sudden onset of vertigo. Vertigo, caused by a dysfunction in the inner ear, is a sort of extreme dizziness. Someone with vertigo will have the feeling of motion even when they are standing still. This often leads to nausea and vomiting, as well as difficulty standing and walking. There are several causes of vertigo, some of which can be quite severe. Thankfully, Araya’s vertigo was caused by extreme dehydration and a lack of rest.

This, unfortunately, is not the first bit of bad luck that the band has recently had health-wise. Their guitarist, Jeff Hanneman, is currently recovering from necrotizing fasciitis, a rare type of flesh eating disease. Reports state that he contracted the disease from a spider bite, though the species has not yet been confirmed. He will be receiving surgery for the affected arm in the near future. It is not yet known when he will be released.

After having to cancel several shows in 2010 due to Araya’s back and neck surgery, the band had agreed that they would be hiring Gary Holt of Exodus to replace Hanneman during their tours, which are currently in progress.

Latest articles