Media: Larger Than Life?

Who's your favorite singer? Actor? Author? And how much do you like them? Would you change your life to be like them? In both good and bad ways, some people would. What does that mean for the world and for individuals themselves?

Pop-culture influences everyone's daily life, but to what extent? For some people, it simply influences the way they dress. On the other hand, it changes how some people act and live. Why would they change the way they live?

A very popular form of media affecting life is flip hair, or now known as 'Bieber Hair'. Countless boys across the world has cut their hair like Justin Bieber. But why? If you survey 100 people, you may get answers like "It's cool," or "Everyone else does it," or "I want to be just like Justin Bieber." The one that catches my attention most is the last one. Believe it or not, you may get this answer.

Bringing us to this point: people change their life to be like some media figure. You're probably wondering why. There could be several answers. The first being lack of self confidence. Some people who aren't happy with themselves change their lives to the extent where not only are they happy with themselves, but are hardly the same person. The second reason would be the bandwagon influence. If something, such as Bieber hair, is a trend, people are going to try it. See media's influence? The final reason why is heroism. Some figures earned enough respect from someone, that the someone wants to be like them. Usually, this isn't the case.

This can have positive, negative, and neutral effects on the world. If Taylor Swift were to be seen helping an animal shelter, many fans would help animal shelters too. Why? Although it's for the wrong reasons, because Taylor Swift did. As well as positive, it can also has negative effects. If a famous celebrity was caught shoplifting, there would be someone who would follow their actions. It can also be neutral. If Kesha advertised crocs, people would start wearing crocs more. This, however, does not harm or help the world.

Styles and trends change. But my opinion of it is to not be a follower or a leader in the world of media and trends. Be an individual. You're not alive to be a mini-Lady-Gaga, now are you? Be you and express yourself in the things that the media could affect. After all, the world wouldn't be complete without everyone.

Latest articles