Macs: The Simple Fix to Your Computer Problems

Have you ever stared at a computer screen in anger because something wasn’t working for the tenth time in an hour? I have. I’ve come to the conclusion that 99 percent of my computer problems arise when I’m using a PC. I can’t count on one hand the number of times I’ve had the unrestrained urge to literally pick up a PC and chuck it right out of the nearest window. Obviously, I know this wouldn’t solve my problems, but it’s still a nice thought.

I could go on and on about all of the problems I’ve noticed with PCs, but I’ll just name a few of the most blatantly striking issues. If you own any brand of PC laptop you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when I say they’re generally made with cheap, easy to produce plastic. Have you ever noticed how a lot of laptops and netbooks will squeak or creak when you open or close them? That’s why. Macs are always made with high quality parts to allow for a longer lifespan and better endurance. (The average life span of a Mac is four years, versus a measly two years for a PC.) Sure, they initially cost quite a bit more, but they don’t have to be replaced near as often due to faulty or broken parts or outdated software.

Most PC keyboards are laid out poorly; every key is directly touching the keys surrounding it. This can lead to several mishaps when typing if you’re not careful. On Macs, the keys are actually a small distance a part, allowing your fingers some wiggle room when typing that important paper last minute that you know you won’t have time to go back and spell check and edit. (Let’s face it, procrastination is single handedly a teenager’s best skill, so why not make it even easier?)

How many times have you had to completely restore your precious PC because you accidentally clicked a fake link on Facebook or some other Internet site that immediately infected your computer with the latest virus or spyware? If your PC is anything like my old laptop, which probably caught a virus every couple of months despite my avoiding those pesky links, you’ve probably had to do that a lot. The fact is that virus creators target the PC market, not the Mac. This basically means that if you’re a Mac user and don’t have spyware protection you run less of a risk of your computer getting a virus then if you’re a PC user that overly protects your piece of modern technology.

If you have spent time working on both PCs and Macs I’m fairly certain you’ve probably encountered this next problem at some point in your life. Programs that were specifically designed to run on a Macintosh operating system, like Adobe Photoshop, simply don’t work as well on Windows. They take longer to open, longer to save, and are generally harder to use. If I’m using a Mac I can make a simple photo blend in about ten minutes, a task that would take me almost 20 minutes on my Windows based laptop. Not to mention the fact that the quality is about twice as high on an image that has been altered on a Mac.

Apple has actually upped the anty and made Windows based programs better on Macs then they are on PCs, that’s some pretty crazy stuff right there. The Mac version of Microsoft Word has a seriously awesome feature; you can set up your word document to look exactly like a notebook. So, when you’re a college student frantically trying to write down every word your professor says you can simply open up Word and type away, instantly keeping your stress level at a manageable place.

If you like to use your computer time in the most efficient way possible, to increase your spare minutes for Facebook creeping, Tweeting, or whatever else it is you do on the Internet, a Mac is definitely the right choice for you.

Latest articles