The World vs. "Twilight"

As a member of many fan sites, blogger and dedicated lover of young adult literature, I seem to stumble upon one question wherever I go online over and over again; the ongoing battle that is “...or Twilight?”

Of course in today’s society almost everything is compared to “Twilight”. Almost all popular books like the genius that is the “Harry Potter” series by J.K Rowling, “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins and other successful young adult fiction, all seem to come into this raging battle against “Twilight”.

For some reason someone always seems to be declaring war on “Twilight” where it’s completely irrelevant. As you may know the majorly successful and in my opinion amazing series of books which is “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins is set to be released as a major motion picture next month. Now I’m as excited as the next person, but it angers me that all I have to do is click of a trailer link, or an interview with the cast, or go to any of "The Hunger Games" fan sites to see comments of this nature,“This movie looks way better than Twilight” or “no one will even remember Twilight after this” and then the battle commences; once again another completely unrelated movie being compared to Twilight.

It’s everywhere. I go to buy a book based on vampire fiction or other book containing supernatural beings, for example “The Vampire Diaries”, “The House of Night” "Morganville Vampires" or "The Wolves Of Mercy Falls" series and guess what’s written on the front? Something along the lines of “Twilight fans will love it!” or, “The new Twilight Saga”, or some half hearted review from Stephenie Meyer. These are great books, why would you feel the need to compare them to "Twilight"?

My point is who cares? “Twilight” was “Twilight” and yes the books were very successful, and the movies were very successful, and a lot of screaming girls now worship Robert Pattinson as some form of god amongst men, who cares? This doesn’t automaticly give it free rein to take over every other fandom and be compared to completely unrelated books, starting unnecessary argument over which one is better.

In conclusion if you like Twilight, that’s fine, if you don’t, that’s also fine, but why must we compare every new piece of literature to Twilight! All I see online anymore is, “Oh Twilight is so much better than Harry Potter” or “Oh The Vampire Diaries is just like Twilight” or some remark comparing something wrote by a totally different author, wrote in a completely different way to Twilight. I think people just need to calm down about the whole “Twilight” hype. So please, can we all just accept literature for what it is, and love or hate it based on the content of the book, and not how it looks in comparison to "Twilight". Just stop declaring war on "Twilight" constantly with every other piece of literature.

Latest articles