Seniors vs. Freshmen

Since the beginning of time, there has been a power struggle between the freshmen and the seniors. Freshmen are new to the high school game and are looking to stand out and find their niche. Seniors are seasoned veterans who are waiting for graduation and looking to stomp on a few heads on their way out. Of course, the two groups were destined to clash. But, is there a way for the two to live in harmony?

The seniors find the freshmen annoying and immature, but are they really? As I went through high school, I thought that the freshmen seemed to be getting more annoying and immature as a new group came in each year. By the time I was a senior, I could barely tolerate them, but were they really getting more annoying? The short answer is: probably not. As you age, those younger than you appear to be less mature, because, compared to you, they are. The freshmen class never really gets less mature, but as others age, they appear to be doing so.

It should be easy for seniors to put themselves in the shoes of the freshmen, considering they used to be one, but it seems as though the seniors pick on the freshmen every year. If more seniors would realize that the freshmen look up to them, the two could find better ways to coexist.

Implementing different programs could help schools to mingle the two groups together. Schools could offer extra credits to seniors who agreed to help freshmen with the transition into high school. Helping the freshmen and seniors to live together in harmony is partly the responsibility of the school, but mainly the responsibility of the students.

Latest articles