Speed-Running Video Games

Some of the most frequently asked questions about speedrunning, according to SpeedRunsLive, are "what is speed-running?" and "why would you want to rush through a game that you enjoy?"

First of all, speedrunning is a hobby picked up by gamers who wish to master their skills in a certain video game. The target of this task is to complete a video game in the shortest amount of time, using glitches and sequence breaking to your advantage. Those that have picked up this activity are not playing the game for the first time, thus are not jeopardizing a good experience. Instead, these are players who have already completed the game and now wish to improve their abilities while challenging themselves.

Amongst the places where this activity is popular, TwitchTv has the most speedrunners. Streaming live, gamers can host themselves recording live attempts at beating the game hastily, building up a fan base and meeting personal goals. Games from The Legend of Zelda to Mario to Metroid are all played as quickly as possible, with many different players competing against each other for the best time.

While this may seem like a non-serious hobby, for the most popular and achieved gamers, speedrunning serves also as an unofficial occupation! Not only can users of the website either donate or subscribe to the gamers for a small fee, companies sponsored by the website provide these gamers with a small total of money. The more popular the player, the more likely they are to get donations from their fans. Further, the more viewers that these gamers obtain, the more times the advertisements will be shown, increasing the sponsors’ monetary contribution.

Two well-recognized speedrunners, Cosmo and Siglemic, (respectively playing The Wind Waker and Super Mario 64) have made a sum of thousands of dollars with their unique hobby. These “runners” currently hold world records for their chosen video games and constantly compete with those who try to trump their time. This excitement- partly from dedication to the player, partly determination for them to succeed- builds a phenomenal fan base of enthusiasts who wish to be involved, thus leading to donations.

Being a silent figure in the crowd of this fad, I have personally never donated to the cause, but have been very inspired by it. While a speedrunner might be called “lazy” or someone who “needs to get a life,” the message of their efforts is no different than that of an athletic. These gamers push themselves to constantly better their skills, utilizing patience, control, and determination. Some games take over five hours to complete, in which a single mistake could invalidate hours of a runner’s time. Likewise, other games can be done in less than an hour; however, this requires precision and a fast pace that one might only be able to keep up with for ten minutes.

As well, speedrunning has also taught me the importance of every single second. One second can determine if you get the new world record. One mistake can cost you as much as a minute, which, when added up with other mistakes, becomes a major setback in your ultimate goal. But most significantly, speedrunning has taught me the importance of an achiever’s fans. Whether you do manage to get the new record, or if you’re playing repetitively for twelve hours and no advancement, the fans always support, push, and applaud you.

Though speedrunning isn’t something that will change a world or even alter it noticeably, the standards of this hobby are both entertaining and inspiring. Whether it is a javelin, a pen, or a video game controller between your hands, even something like speedrunning can be a rewarding achievement, serving as a challenge that requires practice and dedication.

Latest articles