Commercialism And Mainstream Rock

Commercialism And Mainstream Rock Commercialism.

It’s a thing that affects many epic musicians as the whole world grows to know who they are. Their image changes, their music changes, their attitude to what they do changes. They may still want to play music, but maybe their reason is different to what it was before fame.

Like My Chemical Romance, or Green Day, for example.

These are two perfect examples of bands that have been launched into the mainstream and sucked into headlines, spotlights and power. So they might not just do it for the money. But can they really be bothered to make music anymore? Surely not the way that they used to want to make it. Everybody knows their name; everybody knows at least one of their most recent songs.

For Green Day, it might be American Idiot.

For My Chemical Romance, it’s generally Welcome to the Black Parade.

My Chemical Romance aren’t who they used to be. They have become “The Black Parade”. Don’t get me wrong; the lyrics, emotion and sheer awesomeness of the songs of that album is just fantastic, but need it be took to such an extreme? Is it just me who misses the old MCR? The ones who brought us their Bullets for our love. The ones who gave us Three Cheers for our own sweet revenge?

And Green Day. It’s been four long years since their so called amazing album American Idiot was released (which, I have to say, will be their downfall. Nothing beats Dookie). Yet they can still find time to create side bands, like The Network, and recently rumored to be the talented musicians behind Foxboro Hotubs. When will we hear from them again?

Will we at all?

You see, what I’m trying to say is, does fame go to people’s heads? Is Mainstream really crushing The Scene and Underground? I know I’m not the only one who misses My Chemical Romance and Green Day.

I’m not the only one who misses the Gerard who doesn’t cut his hair. I’m not the only one who misses the Billie Joe who runs about stage, wearing nothing but a little guitar named Blue.

I can’t be. And people grow up, I know. But fame should mean immortality, right? Yet there are all these other bands out there, trying to steal the sound of other bands, the image of other bands. The Mainstream is getting out of hand.

Maybe it’s not worth it. Maybe, by buying the records and downloading the albums of bands who really sound far too similar to be taken any notice of, we’re not helping the Scene.

I’m not saying change is a bad thing. Nor am I saying that a band should stay the same throughout their career. That would be boring. I’m saying, bands should change for the better, not for the worse.

By all means, stand by My Chemical Romance, and Green Day, and other popular bands like them. They’re good at what they do, and they deserve to be recognized. I love them just as much as you do, and they saved my life too.

All I’m saying is that I wish they hadn’t changed. The Black Parade didn’t save my life. Nor did The Network or Foxboro Hotubs. Green Day and My Chemical Romance did.

Now you can badmouth me all you want, say I don’t know what the hell I’m talking about or whatever you want to say. But I didn’t ask for you to read this article. I didn’t tie you down, gag you and put a gun to your head, threatening to shoot if you didn’t read. You chose to read it.

I’m telling you what I know is true. You can choose to believe me and remember who it is you’re worshipping and putting on a pedestal, or you can go on blinding yourself that your heroes and saviors are still the same people you knew and loved way back when.

It’s your choice.

Latest articles