The Click Five

Millions of girls nowadays are going crazy over British boys because of their sexy accents and preppy clothing. With the 'Brit invasion' occurring nowadays in both music and film industry, it is not a wonder that British charm has indeed, won the hearts of many. However, does it occur to you that American boys are sexy as well? Dress them up in suits and ties and an American boy can be as good as a British one. Well, minus the accent, that is.

In 2005, we were introduced to a preppy dressed, mop-top haircut, American power pop band called The Click Five. They gave us catchy tunes such as "Just The Girl" and "Catch Your Wave", both taken from their debut album, Greetings from Imrie House.

Their addictive music and smart outlook caught our attention and it wasn't a surprise that they were a hit among teenage girls, just like any other pop bands. Unlike in Asia, The Click Five (abbreviated as TC5) wasn't really well-received in the States, especially when their second album, Modern Minds and Pastimes was released in 2007. It only managed to reach number 136 on the Billboard 200 chart whereas their third album, simply titled TCV (2010), did not chart at all. Greetings from Imrie House had a better charting, reaching up to number 15 on the Billboard 200.

However, that did not mean they didn't come up with noteworthy tunes. Still remember "Jenny", the song about a complicated girl who couldn't make up her mind?

"First you say you won't, then you say you will.
You keep me hanging on, and we're not moving on.
We're standing still, Jenny.
You got me on my knees.
Jenny, it's killing me."

Not forgetting the mellow-sounding, "Empty", or the fast tempo, "Flipside". The most recent song "Don't Let Me Go", was released two years ago and had been picked up by MTV EXIT to help raise awareness about human trafficking. The song reached a peak of number 5 on the weekly Top 20 charts on Singapore local radio station, 98.7FM, where it stayed on the chart for nine weeks.

The last mega concert they had was in Cambodia on December 17, 2011. TC5, among other top Cambodian artists, delivered a spectacular performance to over 40,000 screaming fans at the 'MTV EXIT Live in Phnom Penh' concert. The boys are relatively quiet in the music business at the moment, but lead vocalist Kyle Patrick, had recently released his own EP. His single, "Go For Gold!" was written for the Olympics, but sadly, it did not make the cut. He was also invited to perform on MTV Sessions for MTV Asia, which will be premiering September 8th on MTV.

Sources:

The Click Five

Kyle Patrick Music

Billboard

Latest articles