"Doctor Who?"

“Doctor who?" That’s the question that has been asked numerous times, yet never answered, on the hit BBC series of the same name, Doctor Who. In the year 2013 Doctor Who will be celebrating its 50th Anniversary.

The show centers around the Doctor, a time lord from the planet of Gallifrey who travels through time and space in his TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space). Throughout the fifty years the Doctor has undergone many regenerations and been through multiple companions. He has saved planets, worlds, species, and has also committed genocide once or twice. When the Doctor regenerates, his physical appearance and personality change. Thus why there have been eleven actors to play the eleven regenerations of the Doctor.

Doctor Who first started in November of 1963, with William Hartnell portraying the Doctor from then until 1966. The Second Doctor was played by actor Patrick Troughton from 1966 to 1969. From 1970 to 1974, Jon Pertwee was the Third regeneration of the Doctor. Tom Baker with his infamous scarf portrayed the Fourth Doctor from 1974 until 1981. The Fifth Doctor was played by Peter Davison from 1981 to 1984, being known for the piece of celery he wore on his suit. Colin Baker played the Sixth Doctor from 1984 until 1986, followed by Sylvester McCoy who portrayed the Seventh Doctor from 1987 to 1989, and then again in 1996 after one of the show’s hiatuses. Paul McGann played the Eighth Doctor in 1996. After another nine year hiatus, Christopher Eccleston played the Ninth Doctor for one season. David Tennant portrayed the Tenth Doctor from 2005 until 2010 when Matt Smith took over and has been playing the Eleventh Doctor ever since. The oldest man to play the Doctor has portrayed the youngest, while the youngest actor to play the Doctor has portrayed the oldest.

Since 1963, more than 35 actors and actresses have been featured as the Doctor’s companion. Susan Foreman, Barbara Wright, and Ian Chesterton were the First Doctor’s first companions. Some of the more notable companions that some might recognize right away are Sarah Jane Smith, Rose Tyler, Donna Noble, Martha Jones, Captain Jack Harkness, River Song, Amy Pond, and Rory Williams. And we must never forget K-9, a robotic dog that went along with Sarah Jane Smith when she was travelling with the Doctor. Sometimes the Doctor travels alone, but this is not a good thing. Many companions and audience members stress the fact that the Doctor needs a companion to keep him sane.

While the Doctor is presented as a generally good character, with his fair share of flaws, many claim that he is still extremely selfish and racist. That to a non-human, the show would be pretty insulting. Many of the Doctor’s adversaries include the Daleks, Cybermen, and the Master, along with many other alien species.

People watch this series for many reasons. Instead of watching a reality television show, like Jersey Shore, many people will decide to turn on Doctor Who. Why? Because it makes you think. It is written in such a way that leaves you wanting more. The characters develop in such a way that makes you develop with them.

While some might think this is a sophisticated show and all the people who watch it are extremely intelligent, that is not what the show is all about, though we are extremely intelligent and sophisticated as well. The show has its laughs; the show has its fair share of tears; it has its fair share of feels. But it also teaches you about so many different things.

There are so many TV series on these days; why not switch to BBC and become a Whovian?

Latest articles