The Blood on the Dance Floor Epidemic

There is an epidemic that is sweeping the world over, ensuring that no dust remains. I know what you may be thinking, and no, I am not referring to ‘Bieber Fever’ or the ‘One Direction Infection’. No, this is much more rampant. It is so infectious that trained professors in the medical field have not yet thought of a name so monumental to describe the intense symptoms as they have with the former.

I'm talking about Blood On The Dance Floor.

Yes, the American electronic, or ‘crunkcore’, group founded in 2007 and comprised of Dahvie Vanity and Jayy Von Monroe have caused quite a stir the world over it seems.

The band, or ‘double act’ as I like to call them, rely on lyrics, oftentimes fed by sexual experiences and anger towards an ex-partner, or in Vanity’s case, whoever has a differing opinion about Dahvie Vanity. The songs "Sexting" and "Candyland" are but two of the plethora of examples of BOTDF’s explicit lyrical content, fed by rage which they feel the need to express through auto-tuned electro pop.

But, here is where the contradictions begin. "Happy Violentine’s Day" is a showcase of Dahvie’s anger towards a particular ex-partner, simply because she didn’t agree with him about something. I presume it was Dahvie Vanity. The lyrics "lovely slits around your neck, started in love, ended in death" completely undermine the ideals Vanity and Monroe had previously preached.

This leads on to Dahvie Vanity; the man himself. Here, we have a pushing-thirty man covered predominantly in ink, hair dye and make up, who preaches ‘PLUR’ and that ‘haters make him famous’. He is also a walking contradiction. Vanity is someone who believes that when people dislike you, it aids your success. The problem for Dahvie is that he can’t help but bite back at anyone who has the nerve to say anything in slight disagreement. How can people be haters in order to make you famous, if you disagree with them doing it?

The man walks around like a beacon with brightly coloured hair, red contact lenses and 'Pacman' tattoos that clearly hold every bit of meaning for him.

The problem that I have with this double act, is the fact that they have bred a generation of fans that follow their image and attitudes. If you want to believe in the same things as your favourite singer, go ahead, but when they follow Vanity’s example and reply to people who give any form of criticism towards the band with comments such as "kill yourself" with a peppering of vulgar language, it’s a step too far. What I’m suggesting is that Dahvie and company are inciting a fanbase that I personally take the liberty of disagreeing with.

Are you going to write a song about me too, Dahvie?

Latest articles