Beyoncé's Mrs. Carter World Tour: Costume Review

I recently had the opportunity to see Beyoncé live on her Mrs. Carter World Tour. And of course, I already knew before I walked in the arena that the show was going to be spectacular. The lights, the vocals, the dancing; everything was on point and up to the “Beyoncé” standard. But besides the incredible staging and choreography of the show, there was another aspect that caught my eye: the clothes! Beyoncé teamed up with a wide array of fashion designers, from well known to just the up and coming to create the incredible costumes for the show. And as I watched the concert from my less than amazing seats, I saw costumes that were magnificent and others that I felt missed the mark. Here are the costumes that I saw in person and a few others from previous shows.

Emilio Pucci

For the Mrs. Carter World Tour, Beyoncé teamed up with the famed brand Emilio Pucci to make a total of three masterpieces for the tour. The first of the costumes was a long-sleeve black leather jacket with beautiful thigh-high boots matched with a gorgeous oversized hat. I adored this look as it showed Beyoncé sophisticated yet extremely sexy and soulful. It put away with the fun and frilly Beyoncé outfits and gave a very womanly, mature look.

The second Emilio Pucci outfit designed for Beyoncé was a green fringed cheetah print dress. The long-sleeved mini dress showcased Beyoncé’s ultra sculpted legs and the fringed aspect of the dress would hide any imperfections on anyone (not that Beyoncé would need it). At first, I was not a massive fan of this outfit as I was not a huge fan of fringed pieces. But after seeing a lot of fringed clothing at department stores, it really started to grow on me and I adore the cheetah print on the dress.

The third and final piece was the mix and match 60’s themed outfit Beyoncé wore near the end of the show. It features a long-sleeved, light blue top with intricate beading all over. With the light blue top, Beyoncé wears striped shorts with a cheetah belt tying it all together and on her feet, she wore thigh-high, brown fringed boots. This look was unfortunately my least favorite look of the entire show. I strongly disliked the mix of all the different prints and textures and to me it looked like it all clashed horribly. But I also have to give credit where it is due and say that I respect Beyoncé for being brave enough to wear all these different patterns and try to make it all work.

Ralph and Russo

Emilio Pucci was not the only famous fashion brand that Beyoncé worked with; Ralph and Russo also worked with Beyoncé to design a piece exclusively for the tour. Together, they came up with one of my favorite outfits of the show: the magnificent white, sequin one-piece with a peplum skirt and beautiful shoulder pads with dangling pearls. The one-piece itself, is covered in stunning white crystals extenuating Beyoncé’s beautiful curves and stunning legs. As mentioned above, this, in my opinion, was one of the most amazing pieces created. I loved how the stage lights practically attracted to the one-piece and reflected back out and made Beyoncé shine like a star.

Alon Livne

Along with the other famous fashion designers, Beyoncé also hand-picked the up and coming fashion designer Alon Livne to design an outfit for the song “Freakum Dress”. The winner of “Project Runway” definitely delivered and designed for Beyoncé a gorgeous flowing red cut-out gown with a large gold embellishment on the chest. The stunning dress was nearly floor length but had hip-high cuts on both sides to make it possible to dance in and the light weight of the fabric easily let the fans blow it in any direction and out of the way. This was another one of my most favorite pieces as it was a strict change to any other Beyoncé outfit as she had never worn a “gown” during any performances. It was a beautiful change of pace from the leotards and the stunning red color of the gown made Beyoncé even more radiant than before.

Givenchy

Back in regular leotard fashion, Beyoncé asked Givenchy to design her beautiful and unconventional black bodysuit. The black bodysuit featured beautiful studs all over the piece and had long-sleeves made of lace. Along with the bodysuit, Beyoncé wore matching black studded gloves and on special occasions even wore a Givenchy cape, styled with stars and stripes. I enjoyed this look as it was exactly what I expected Beyoncé to wear knowing full-well of her love of leotards and I thought it was creative how Givenchy added the studding to give the bodysuit a hellish appeal. I liked the “bad-girl” look of the whole outfit and it definitely warned people not to mess with Beyoncé!

Kenzo

Surprising the crowd, Beyoncé took the stage in Paris to perform “Grown Woman” for the first time. And along with a new song, she had to have a new outfit, right! For this, she contacted Kenzo who designed Beyoncé a beautiful colorful print romper inspired by their spring collection. The outfit from the front looked like a regular romper but the back featured a beautiful skirt covering the backside. I did not get to see this outfit live but boy, I wish I did! I absolutely love this look! I love the whole print and color scheme, the romper looked so flattering on her and it was a perfect match to the African inspired beats in “Grown Woman”.

David Koma

For another leotard look, Beyoncé asked David Koma to design her a one-of-a-kind one-piece. Using beautiful patent leather as the background, David Koma used instruments as the inspiration and added gold French Horn prints on the black one piece. The shape of the whole outfit mimicked the Kenzo romper as David Koma also featured a full skirt covering the backside. The shiny leather along with the gold accents gave a contemporary and defined look for Beyoncé and I adored the design of the piece and loved the black and gold together.

Vrettos Vrettakos

Last but not least, we have the beautiful cobalt jumpsuit created for Beyoncé by the famed brand Vrettos Vrettakos. The blue jumpsuit was made out of silk and was embroidered in over 400,000 Swarowski crystals in cobalt blue color. Along with the jumpsuit, Beyoncé paired it with matching blue high-heels. This was no doubt my favorite outfit of the show because even though nearly Beyoncé’s whole body was covered up, there was still a serious sexiness from the jumpsuit showcasing all of Beyoncé’s natural curves and beauty. It was reported that it took endless hours of workmanship to complete the jumpsuit and in my opinion, it definitely shows.

So out of all the outfits featured in the Mrs. Carter World Tour, which one is your favorite? Which one is your least favorite? Share in the comments!

Latest articles