Music of Japan

Many aspects of Japanese life today are an intriguing mix of the traditional, foreign, and modern. Japan has adopted cultural influences from outside its borders for centuries. European and American ideas have had a major impact on Japanese culture, as made evident in Japanese popular music.

Popular music is defined as music primarily created for and transmitted by the various mass media (Titon, 2002). Popular music in Japan, with the aim of appealing to the mass audience, exhibits several characteristics:

  1. Performance within a set time limit.
  2. Themes that appeal to the broad public.
  3. Stanza form and a steady beat, similar to Western music.
  4. Live performances aimed at reproducing recorded sound.
  5. Dramatic rise and fall in popularity (Titon, 2002).

Throughout history, popular music has changed dramatically. Since 1907, when the first commercial recording was released in Japan, the composition, performance, and appreciation of music have revolutionized (Titon, 2002). The best way to illustrate this is to go back in time to discuss the history of Japan’s popular music.

History

Shoka

During the nineteenth century, Japan’s era of isolation ended. Communication with the west increased, and Japanese life began to “modernize.” Western models were adopted in school systems, where music instruction was introduced. Here, shoka songs, that blended Japanese and Western song elements, were instilled. These newly composed songs used traditional Japanese scales and Western melodies. Through shoka, the Japanese masses were introduced to Western musical structure, scale, and rhythm.

Enka

In the later decades of the nineteenth century, Japan’s future political direction was questioned. Disputed between democracy and monarchy fueled a new kind of song, enka. Enka evolved to express the goals of this movement. Words to these songs were recited, like a rhythmic chant. In time, after World War II, political enka songs were transformed to become sentimental songs full of nostalgia and longing. For many younger listeners, these songs did not appeal to their taste. As a result, the phenomenon called karaoke appeared.

Karaoke

Karaoke literally means “empty orchestra.” Anyone, with the proper equipment, could sing their favorite songs to a full orchestral accompaniment. These public performances included popular genres, as well as enka songs. Japanese feel that singing helps establish a relaxed atmosphere and feeling of closeness with others (Titon, 2002). Social groups often gather for karaoke to promote harmonious relationships. It is not uncommon for companies to participate in karaoke and drinking parties to break down the social barriers created by the company hierarchy. Karaoke has also helped to narrow the musical generation gap by exposing members of different generations to various musical repertories.

Gunka

Moving on, Gunka is another form of popular music. These songs were composed during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904. Military songs such as these were influenced by military music of the West. Not all are enthusiastic about fighting and war. Some describe longing, hope, and heartache written from familial point of view. These songs are popular with those who experienced World War II.

Folk Song

Folk Songs are also popular among the Japanese culture. Written during the 60’s and 70’s, these songs often refer to social or political issues of Japan. Japanese folksingers of this period typically wrote and composed the pieces themselves, setting them apart from other songwriters and lyricists of the time. These songs scarcely differ from their Western counterparts.

New Music

New Music, developed in the late 70’s, had grown out of the folk song. This style, however, was more introspective and personal, an aspect that appeals to the younger generation. In this type of song, the melody is given more importance than the presence of a strong beat.

Pop Music

Pop Music, appearing in the late 70’s, aimed at a teenage audience. Commonly, music of this type is sung by teenagers themselves. Performance and costume is an important aspect of Pop music. Choreographed dance, fashionable clothing, and trending styles are obvious in Pop music, and so television is an important medium for these teenage performers. These songs sound Western in arrangement and melody, and commonly incorporate English lyrics into the piece. In addition to Pop music, many other genres, such as easy listening, rock, and punk, are popular among Japanese listeners.

Conclusion

Music has flourished in Japan, ever growing and expanding. Although many aspects are similar to Western style pieces, elements of Japanese culture, history, and tradition set them apart from other musical styles. Japanese music has gained an audience worldwide, and will likely continue developing as a result.

References

Titon, J. (2002). Worlds of music: An introduction to the music of the world’s people. Stamford, CT: Thomson Learning.

Latest articles