The Splat Pack

Coined by Alan Jones of Total Film, 'the Splat Pack' is a term used to describe a group of directors and producers who have created gory R-rated horror movies, since 2002.

Members:

  • Alexandra Aja (High Tension, 2003)
  • Rob Zombie (House of 1000 Corpses, 2003)
  • Leigh Whannell (SAW, 2004)
  • Eli Roth (Hostel, 2005)
  • Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, 2002)
  • Darren Lynn Bousman (SAW II, 2005 and SAW 3D, 2010)
  • Adam Green (Hatchet, 2007)
  • James Wan (Dead Silence, 2007)
  • Greg McLean (Wolf Creek, 2005)
  • Robert Rodriguez (Planet Terror, 2007)

The Splat Pack have been credited with bringing back the horror genre. In the 70's there were works like Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the 80's Stanley Kubrick brought The Shining to our screens. But the by the 90's, the horror genre almost died. Wes Craven seemed to be holding up the genre with Scream. In 2002, Eli Roth revived the genre with his sinister Cabin Fever. But it wasn't plain sailing.

"For years no one would finance Cabin Fever because they told me, 'Horror's a dead genre.' My response was, 'Horror isn't dead. Sh*tty movies are dead. If you make a great film the fans will come and support it.' And they did."

- Eli Roth

The Splat Pack have spread the horror genre worldwide. Alexandra Aja's High Tension (2003) was one of the very few French horror movies to gain notable success. Greg McLean terrified fellow Australians with Wolf Creek in 2005. The are also credited with taking horror to the next level. The Descent (2005) - one of Neil Marshall's many shocking works gave a whole new meaning to claustrophobia. Darren Lynn Bousman took over the SAW franchise from Jason Wan to add deeply disturbing psychological effect.

For 11 years, the Splat Pack made sure the horror genre didn't die out. They proved that in order to create an epic movie, you didn't need an all-star cast and a massive budget. They brought horror to the masses, not just the fans.

Obviously, the backlash would be massive. The genre has been branded as excessive and over-the-top. The Splat Pack have frequently clashed with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) over the content. Darren Lynn Bousman had to turn to old legend and master of the genre Rob Zombie for advice when trying to get an R-Rating on SAW III. He said, "Comedians don't get criticised for being too funny. Drama doesn't get criticised for being too dramatic. It's horror directors who get penalised for their vision."

In 2009, Eli Roth brought out Hostel. Critics, who were shocked and appalled, branded the genre as torture porn. Roth didn't seem too bothered, knowing his fans were on his side. He said, "I think it says far more about the critic's lack of understanding of these movies and their fear of them than the movie itself. I don't go out of my way to upset people, but you can't make movies like this and be afraid to offend."

But for all the criticism, there will always be fans. They are responsible for a new age of horror, one that will live on for decades to come.

But 11 years on, it seems their vision is fulfilled. Horror is all the rage today, and is less shocking than in the beginning. Many directors have turned to remaking timeless horror classics. Kimberly Peirce is bringing back Carrie, and Fede Alvarez Evil Dead. Is this a sign that horror is running out of ideas? Or has the Splat Pack inspired other directors to create extreme horrors? But the Splat Pack aren't ready to give in. Eli Roth's The Green Inferno and Hemlock Grove came out recently to a good reception. Greg McLean is also set to release Wolf Creek 2 next year. Leigh Whannell has an acting part in Insidious: Chapter 2 and The Pardon. And they are ready to inspire young, aspiring directors. "I'd like to see what happens in five years from now when the kids who grew up on Scream and I Know What You did Last Summer and Urban Legend come up with," said Adam Green. "I'm curious to see if they'll react the way that we did."

Another decade of great horror then, please.

Latest articles