The Splat Pack - Comments

  • @ kyojin;
    I think what makes a gory movie scary is the realism of it. Alright, it is over exaggerated but what I mean is many people find comfort in believing ghosts and demons ect don't exist. However, going on a family holiday and taking a detour to see sights, then crashing and being hunted down by cannibals - is a bit more plausible.
    December 30th, 2013 at 03:01pm
  • Ah, I have mixed feelings about this article. While I appreciate the splat pack bringing back horror, a lot of these directors produce something that I just don't like: torture porn. And it is torture porn. It's, "let's see how many gruesome ways we can kill a bunch of teenagers someone." And that's not what I think horror is about. It's not scary to kill people in strange ways. It's just gross. I love horror and that means I like to be scared- not grossed out. Movies like Saw and Cabin Fever and Hatchet don't scare me in the least. They just make me want to vomit. I'm not saying it's bad movie-making, just that it's not what I like to see in my horror. I'd rather watch movies like When a Stranger Calls or The Woman in Black or The Conjuring... But hey, that's just me.
    December 30th, 2013 at 02:08pm
  • @ oliver scott sykes;
    When I watch scary movies with friends, they're the ones telling me it's not scary and five minutes I'm the only one who isn't hiding behind a pillow .-.

    That's why I'm totally against movie censorship. Because honestly, if someone's going to watch SAW or whatever and think 'YES I WILL DO THAT' they've probably been locked up before. The director's don't create to inspire, they're just making what fascinates them.
    December 30th, 2013 at 01:44pm
  • My friends make fun of me because I tell them unless they want me to climb them like a tree, we can't watch scary movies after dark. lmfao my imagination is a little too colorful after I've watched a scary movie and night time rolls around. But I think it's wonderful that movies - something that you obviously know is pretend - can play tricks on you like that.

    I think it's sad that people see them that way. Usually the "weirdest" people are also the most interesting, kindest, and most intelligent. Shame people can't look deeper into the art of others and see it for what it really is: art.
    December 30th, 2013 at 01:07pm
  • @ oliver scott sykes;
    I'm pretty much the same too! I watch a movie (like Insidious) in broad daylight and I'm fine and I get all cocky that I'm not scared. So I think I'm not afraid of horror movies, and then it gets dark.

    I think my biggest attraction to horror movies is the directors themselves. People think they're messed up psychopaths. In reality, they're so awesome and sweet.
    December 30th, 2013 at 12:43pm
  • Great article. I've not seen all of the movies mentioned, but I hate to love horror movies. I'm someone who hates and loves to be scared all at the same time and a really good horror movie is something to relish. I look forward to see the next generation of horror.

    I like horror movies like Insidious because it takes somewhere where everyone feels safe - their own home - and warps it and makes you feel like there is no safety anywhere. It's terrifying and wonderful all at the same time.
    December 30th, 2013 at 12:28pm