Songs of Writing

Music is everywhere wherever you go. From a simple jingle of a cell phone to a commercial of advertising, music is always the growing power of bringing something to life. For writers like me, it is a powerful instrument of inspiration and unique motivation. There are many words to describe the type of music we love to listen to and how much it influences us. When it comes to writing, it can be the ignition to a world beyond our wildest imagination.

Building a New World

Every time I think of a story, I always imagine what goes on in such a tale: action, adventure, romance, suspense or even science fiction. Books have so many genres just like music. To imagine a type of world you created just right, sometimes you need that matching melody to let the imaginary world come to life and let it move within your mind.

For example, when building an adventurous story, you need a music piece that could make your mind race of wondrous possibilities that could reflect on what can happen on the story's adventure. Such a song for that would be like listening to the Indiana Jones theme, or the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.

For science fiction, maybe you think of the music of Star Wars with the imperial march or even the Halo video game soundtracks. Maybe you want to do horror by listening to anything by Danny Elfman or getting revved up with the Jaws theme.

There are endless possibilities of what music to choose that fits right for you. It doesn't even have to be original scores, such as a sound of a favored rock song. Whatever suits you right, just go along with it and let your mind flow into the world of the beyond. Remember, it is your world. You control it in your mind with an iron fist.

A Good Way to Brainstorm

This little technique I do is very simple and actually therapeutic. Go for a walk and take your iPod/MP3 player with you with a pair of headphones. Try not to go in bad conditions though for your own sake. Make sure the area is peaceful so you get no distractions whatsoever. When you pick a song of your choice, think of what you wanted to write and how you want to see it with your own eyes. Once the song is picked, play it and then let your mind flow with the thoughts, ideas, and imageries that bring your writing piece to life. If you can't walk, you can just imagine it while on the comfort of your bed or couch.

The choice and way of your imaginary world is in the palm of your hands. Right when you get ideas after your walk or resting with the music you chose, write those ideas down on a notepad and keep them in use for something you truly wish to write. This simple technique always helps me and brings the best confidence to what I want to accomplish in, along with feeling as relaxed as I can be. Plus with the walking, it is a great way to get exercise and some blood flowing in the brain.

Choose what you believe in and follow it.

Latest articles