Charlton Heston Dies Aged 84

Charlton Heston Dies Aged 84 Charlton Heston, who won an Oscar for Best Actor in the epic film Ben Hur, has died at the age of 84. A spokesperson for the family had this to say.

"Heston died on Saturday at his home in Beverly Hills. His wife Lydia, an actress from the 50s, was at his side."

Heston has portrayed such characters as, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the 1950s and 1960s.

He stepped down as President of US gun lobby, the National Rifle Association, in 2003 citing ill-health.

The previous year, he confessed to experiencing the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease.

In a statement, his family have said: "To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life. No one could ask for a fuller life than his. No man could have given more to his family, to his profession and to his country. In his own words, 'I have lived such a wonderful life, I've lived enough for two people'.".

Many friends of the late actor have given their condolences.

"If Hollywood had a Mount Rushmore, Heston's face would be on it. He was a heroic figure that I don't think exists to the same degree in Hollywood today." says his former publicist of 20 years, Michael Levine.

"I will never forget Chuck as a hero on the big screen in the roles he played, but more importantly I considered him a hero in life for the many times he stepped up to support Ronnie in whatever he was doing." former first lady Nancy Reagan has also said.

Heston's family have said a private memorial will take place.

Charlton you will be missed by loads. We love you.

I took some quotes form the BBC News Homepage. Feel free to go to it to read the whole story.

Latest articles