Best Summer Movies

With summer on the horizon and graduation approaching for so many of our current seniors, I have decided to put together the perfect list for every movie that you need to watch and re-watch this summer.

1. Jaws

This is single-handedly the best movie to watch, and terrify yourself with, over the summer. In this film, an enormous great white shark starts to terrorize the residents of a small town. Three local heroes, a police chief, fisherman, and marine biologist, do their best to stop the beast after the deaths of dozens of citizens.

2. Adventureland

A film we can all relate to. This movie takes place in the summer of 1987 in which a college graduate is unable to get a job in his field and he is forced to work at a local amusement park. In the end, however, he learns that the park did a better job of preparing him for the real world than college ever could.

3. The Bay

This is possibly the most terrifying movie on our list. After all, what could fill us with fear more than the threat of the chaos following an ecological catastrophe? Here, the residents of a small town in Maryland are the victims of a waterborne parasite that takes control of their minds and bodies.

4. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

There are some things that we all fear after graduating or in the summers between classes – losing touch with the people that we consider our best friends. In this movie, four girls make a crazy plan to help them stay connected. Through the first summer that they ever spend apart, they will be passing around a pair of secondhand jeans that bring them good luck.

5. The Simpsons Movie

When Homer manages to accidentally ruin the town’s water supply after many citizens devoted their time to cleaning it up, the Simpson family is in danger now that they are at the hands of their fellow citizens. Springfield is surrounded by a giant dome in order to keep the pollution contained and the Simpsons are suddenly fugitives.

6. Bridesmaids

There are very few things that are more insulting than when your best friend has a different best friend. In this film, a rich bridesmaid and an ex-pastry chef are competing over who is truly the bride’s best friend.

7. Jurassic Park

In this Spielberg film, the theme park suffers a massive power outage after an unexpected betrayal from one of the core employees. The theme park, which is filled with the grandchildren of the owner, is out of order while experimental dinosaur clones are free to run through the grounds.

8. Finding Nemo

What could be much better than a cartoon with Ellen DeGeneres as one of the main characters? After a shy clownfish’s son is captured by fishermen in the Great Barrier Reef, Marlin (voiced by Albert Brooks) begins the journey to bring his son back home.

9. Grease

In the only musical on our list, newcomer Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) spends the summer of her life with Danny (John Travolta) and it’s easy to see that they have fallen in love. But, when he returns in the fall to see that she is now attending the same high school as his, no one is sure if this relationship is going to last.

10. Ghostbusters

Aside from being one of the most popular movies ever and a cult classic, this film is one of the funniest movies that one could ever watch in the summer. Three former professors find themselves unemployed but they find more than they bargain for when they open up a ghost-removal service out of an out-of-use fire station.

Latest articles