Kings Park Psychiatric Center Legend Hits The Limelight

Kings Park Psychiatric Center Legend Hits The Limelight I have lived my whole life in Kings Park, New York, a small town located on the north shore of Long Island. If there is one this Kings Park is notorious for it would be Kings Park Psychiatric Center. The asylum was established in 1885 and closed in the late 1990's. Nowadays all that is left of the once thriving hospital are abandoned asbestos-laced buildings that teenagers love to cause chaos in and two houses that the out-patients live in.

There are many legends and stories that float around town, but the most infamous being the legend of Mary Hatchet. The story is that in 1978, a girl named Mary Mattock murdered her entire family with a hatchet thus being sentenced to life in the Kings Park Psychiatric Center. Ten years later, she escaped from the large hospital grounds (some say she was the only person to ever do it, but that's a lie, there have been many stories of patients committing suicide by jumping in front of trains by the nearby station) and went on a mad killing spree. Mary was eventually gunned down by police. This night was nicknamed "Blood Night". And legend has it that on the anniversary of Blood Night her ghost walks the grounds of the now closed asylum, and who knows what she'll do to you if she finds you.

Sideshow Pictures is producing a movie entitled Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet. The movie is about a group of teenagers that go to the hospital grounds (in real life the grounds aren't locked up, seeing that in encompasses majority of the town, though the building do have fences around them) and encounter the ghost of Mary Hatchet. Friends disappear and die, and the remaining are left to unfold the truth in the legend.

My little hometown legend is coming to theaters soon. For now further information is at Blood Night's myspace page.

Latest articles