Chemicals in Henna Cause Allergies

Chemicals in Henna Cause Allergies Henna is a form of flowering plant that is used by many people, mostly the Hindu and Indian races, to decorate certain parts of the body. While it is viewed as a safer, more reliable form of body art, something could go wrong.

There are two forms of henna ; true henna and black henna. True henna is made using natural ingredients, with no chemicals added. Black henna, on the other hand, is made with several chemicals that darken the colour of the paste and therefore, are more likely to cause a reaction. These reactions aren't painful or harmful, but they do leave unattractive scarring and darkness to the skin which is permanent.

The American Academy of Dermatology recently issued a warning that a chemical found in black henna art can cause a severe allergic reaction, causing the skin to redden, swell and blister - but only where the henna is applied, leaving people with bubbly blisters in shapes of swirls, hearts and other designs. Dr. Sharon E. Jacob, a dermatologist at the University of California also said "“Just because they’re temporary, people think they’re safe.”

One story that may frighten you into second-guessing henna is of Debbie Geiger and how her 9 year old daughter reacted to the henna when they went on a family vacation several years back. Geiger was never a fan of tattoos, but she gave in when her daughter begged for a henna tattoo. Little did she know that two days later, her daughter would have an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the tattoo that would swell up into an itchy, bubbly blister.

Dr. Jacob only has one last thing to say about the allergy reactions. "The allergy you can develop is lifelong. It may mean you can never dye your hair again.”More about henna and the allergic reactions here.

Latest articles