Self Hate Syndrome & Body Image Disorder - Comments

  • Hi, your article was very insightful and sensitively put. It's bizarre that a lot of people believe that conditions like those you refer to are only affecting young people. I have been a sufferer of both and secondary problems like agoraphobia (now being regularly overcome), since I was a teenager, but I'm 44 now and still face the struggle every day - like you say, some days are better than others. In the last couple of years I have also realised that I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so the depressive side of me takes over in winter - I've got a special light now that I use every morning and it helps tremendously, but if the days are particularly grey it can feel like all the progress I made against self loathing was just a facade that has crumbled away. And yes, suicide is a huge risk to sufferers and it's not attention seeking whatsoever, it's almost like someone else is living inside and when they come to the surface, it's all you can do to hold on to your own safety and many people do not succeed. So far my attempts have all failed and because I am in a good place in my life I am very glad for that. I hope we all end up in good places in our lives that sustain us and help us to grow well. Thank you for your courage and candour.
    May 4th, 2008 at 04:04pm
  • This is the worst realization anyone could ever have.

    I have both, I know it now.
    Ive read your article three times...

    I didnt know these problems where even disorders. I always think Im the only one who thinks like this.
    May 3rd, 2008 at 05:06am
  • I liked your article. I can't spend one single day without say " I hate myself, I don't want to be here"
    April 26th, 2008 at 05:57am
  • I give you major props for putting your self out there and addressing conditions that affect so many young people in this world.
    March 16th, 2008 at 09:02pm
  • i thinkk i suffer, aand i would really like some help.
    February 28th, 2008 at 12:37am
  • I'm glad you wrote this, it needs to be addressed as well as made aware on here. sadly, thre are alot of ppl on here with this issue, and should really read this.
    October 18th, 2007 at 12:52am