Prevention Versus a Cure - Comments

  • This article was/is amazing. You've made an extremely valid point and raised some great issues. The ending, "[i]what would you choose?[/i]" was mind-blowing.

    Extremely well written, mate.

    My answer for the question would be: save both, if able. But if not, I would save the healthy man and then nurse the sick one until his death.

    Sure, I would feel regretful and guilty but when looking at things from a logical point of view, which you have to do, it makes sense.

    I like this cure/prevention article so much because I actually strive to be a doctor when I'm older and have for a very long time.

    Again, well done.
    October 11th, 2008 at 10:28am
  • To be completely honest, I have so much empathy, I couldn't help but save the sick man. Just the thought of someone writhing in pain beside me, and me not being able to do anything about it is absolutely dreadful. I've been known not to have common sense, and I'm sure in the long run I would curse and smack my forehead.
    August 30th, 2008 at 05:42am
  • Interesting.

    I would have to disagree with you. I would not save the sick man but ensure the healthy one would remain that way. So prevention I think. To be sure, compassion would compel most to help the infirmed. However, if preventive measures were taken to eradicate or minimize the disease in the first place, less would have the disease later on in life. Therefore, there would be less to cure.

    So the question remains: do you help a dying man or the one who might / will get the disease?


    It is sort of stupid that people wish for a way to get rid of global warming when in reality all we had to do was prevent it once we realized what was happening. That's not intelligent at all. Common sense is not so common after all.
    May 23rd, 2008 at 04:28pm
  • I loved this article. And yes, I noticed it was written as a speech... and I'm jealous. I lost all my speech contests -_- so I guess I fail at writing them.

    Anyway, this article attracted me because I participated in a debate about this particular subject that I find fascinating. I love how the human mind works in such a way that we are so fearful of the future and how we're destroying it, yet we're still blisfully making it worse. We complain at our own lack of common sense.

    Again, very nice article.
    May 20th, 2008 at 07:40am
  • This was originlly written as a speech, as u may or may not be able to tell lol
    October 10th, 2007 at 09:03am