What's Consent Got To Do With It?

What's Consent Got To Do With It? Without sex, none of us would be here. It's a main part of life, whether you like to discuss it or not. But who's to say when you can start this and when you can not? This is the question of many teens, and has been for a very long time.

In 1991, the teen pregnancy rate began to steadily drop. That drop ended in 2006, growing from 21 pregnant teenagers out of every 1000 to 22 out of every 1000 girls. It has been cited as perhaps insignificant and a minor flaw in the data, but still raises alarm for many parents and adults.

Speaking as a high schooler, I hear about it first hand every day. Everyone likes to broadcast just how "far they've been," and it's not just the boys! Girls love to discuss how badly boys "want them." Our school's cheer leading squad only has 12 girls- 3 of which are in the early stages of pregnancy.

Can you really consent to sex at such a young age? I have met several people who are 12 years old and already sexually active.

Many parents decide to turn a blind eye to the problem- avoiding what is really going on. They like to believe that their child is a little angel, when really their baby is growing up, maybe a little too fast.

Bottom line: Sex is illegal until you are 16 or older in most states. It's a crime, and whether that age is right or not is for you to decide. What do you think the REAL age where you are both physically and emotionally ready to be intimate with another human being is?

Answers are often "when you are able to take the matter seriously, and it does differ for everyone." But can you possibly ready for that at an age as young as 12, 13? What if it was your younger sister, brother, cousin, nephew, child?

Latest articles