Depression - Not Just Sadness - Comments

  • IAmATourist

    IAmATourist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    To Write Love On Her Arms might have helped, but now all the popular kids in school are wairing the shirts WHILE calling depressed kids "emo" and "cutter freaks"
    FUCKING HYPOCRITES
    May 12th, 2009 at 10:08pm
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    There's another type of depression where the patient becomes utterly paralysed, but I can't remember the name now...
    Good article, I liked the fact that you used stats and sources. ^^
    May 12th, 2009 at 12:14am
  • vagina.

    vagina. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Swaziland
    Look, I'm vaguly mentioned in my besties article. Go me go. lol.
    To Write Love On Her Arms helped me, and now I'm a member of the street team.
    Good article babe, I'm proud.
    April 15th, 2009 at 05:26am
  • Agalia

    Agalia (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Very good article. =)
    A lot of people do suffer from depression and usually it gets way out of hand. When someone isn't treated or if the depression gets worse it can lead to suicidal thoughts. Right now, I'm going through a really tough time with it, and my mom's getting me help with getting me to talk to a psychiatrist, which I admit, is pretty scary. But I learned from the people around me that if you don't get any help or any way out it can lead to horrible thoughts that you just can't get over. It's even gotten to the point where she's thinking of getting me on some pills for it. I'm willing to go through with it all because I've seen how it affects people. I've had thoughts of suicide and even the school I'm going to made me go to the hospital because I told them.

    A lot of people go through depression in their teen years, some harder then others. Most of my friends are going through this and even a few of them are on pills for it. I've been trying to get the word of TWLOHA out at my school, and we're even getting a group to help kids about what they think about suicide and everything there. Even though TWLOHA isn't a well known suicidal help line, it affects a lot of people and gives a lot of inspiration with the help of Renee's story.

    Really good article. =) A lot more people should know more about depression and the effects of it. You really went though with the researching and you went just saying a bunch a bull. Really cool =D
    March 9th, 2009 at 01:03am
  • Stay Gold

    Stay Gold (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I liked this article a lot.
    It wasn't mindless ramblings, it was actaul proper
    information and very well written.
    Thank you. (:
    March 2nd, 2009 at 09:58am
  • DomoLurv

    DomoLurv (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    93
    Location:
    Aland Islands
    When I was fifteen I suffered from severe depression. I was firstly taken to a counselor but because of her inexperience was then referred to a psychologist. After a few sessions I was diagnosed with clinical depression and prescribed antidepressant medication. Even though the medication helped me elate my moods, I saw a therapist for years afterward and still continue to get help or just talk when times are tough. I've also lost a very close friend to suicide from the same mental illness.

    It's good learning the facts about depression and looking at the issue as an illness and not as your personal fault. To this day I'm certain that if I knew more about depression as a mental disease able to be cured at the time I was affected by it, opposed to being certain I was suffering from something I could never overcome, I'd have known to make better choices. Hopefully people can realized that depression comes in different forms and effects people differently, so they too can reach out and get the help they need.
    March 2nd, 2009 at 06:50am
  • Static_Addict_320

    Static_Addict_320 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    ...I wonder why this organization hasnt teamed up with highschools, and if they have, then I havent heard anything about it. I think that would be a really good rescource to start helping people, I think im going to talk to my school conselour to get people more aware. Do a little more than just a " heres what to look for when your friends considering suicide" bulletin, I mean really, why let it go that far?
    March 2nd, 2009 at 06:49am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Nicely done. :)
    March 2nd, 2009 at 05:01am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    All the people who left comments saying how they suffer from depression kinda proved your point. Tons of people have it.
    March 2nd, 2009 at 03:37am
  • lindsaylunacy

    lindsaylunacy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    I've been suffering from depression for five years. I think that this article was well written and well informed, but I disagree with the closing statement. I don't think there's always a way out. Sometimes people are too far into depression that they can't see the light in life anymore. But there is still hope, and TWLOHA makes that fact known. Not everyone is meant to be cured, unfortuantly speaking.
    March 2nd, 2009 at 01:51am
  • crazy.beautiful

    crazy.beautiful (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    thanks for writing this article. i liked the points you made. i'm going on just over a year were severe depression. TWLOHA is amazing. I've met one of the bands that had a big part in the first steps of organizing it; the people involved are amazing.

    i'm also glad that you put in the last line that there is a way out. it took me months to find a way out that wasn't negative. there's always hope for a tomorrow, not always a better one, but there's always hope for one.
    March 1st, 2009 at 11:30pm
  • Perverted_Sheep

    Perverted_Sheep (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Good points were made here. I have suffered from depression in the past, but I didn't really realise until I was over it. Its not a nice place to be.
    Good job :]
    March 1st, 2009 at 07:07pm
  • the used.

    the used. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    nice article.
    good job. (:
    March 1st, 2009 at 05:57pm
  • Time.For.Bullets.

    Time.For.Bullets. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I really liked this article. I'm now going on 4 years of depression and it's cool to know that there are more people like that.

    Alot of interesting facts, too. I didn't know all the symptoms of depression and now I know why my parents suspected it. Thanks! XP
    March 1st, 2009 at 05:13pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I could've googled depression too. :shifty
    I think it would've been better if you put more of yourself, of your personal experiences in the article and less of google's personal experiences.
    March 1st, 2009 at 03:54pm
  • Sacryde

    Sacryde (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    This was well-written, and there were many facts I didn't know.
    I had no idea that many people suffered from depression for at least a year. I myself have had it for 4, going on 5 years, and it makes it easier to handle the fact, knowing that it's not only me.

    Thank you for this.
    March 1st, 2009 at 03:54pm
  • teenieella

    teenieella (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I like how you have the different types, different symptmes, facts and how to get help. Perhaps on future give links or help for websites.

    I suffer from depression and while I already knew which kind I had it was helpful to know that I am not as alone as I thought I was. Thank you and good job.
    March 1st, 2009 at 03:50pm
  • dexter

    dexter (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Argentina
    I like this article.
    It's one of the few articles worth reading and taking serious these days.
    THANK YOU, for writing this. I'm sure that you've just helped at least
    a few people be aware that there is help out there.
    Nicely written, interesting and it pulled me in to read more.
    Good job. :)
    March 1st, 2009 at 03:50pm
  • RawrBaby!

    RawrBaby! (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I have to say this is well written =]

    And fives a lot of facts.

    Some other articles on here make me feel useless for suffering from deppression. This didn't.

    Good work.
    March 1st, 2009 at 03:42pm