Life Saving Cats

Life Saving Cats Cats are lovable pets to many, and have always been been known for their affectionate nature. This is common knowledge, but something less known is the apparent health benefits to being the owner of a friendly feline.

Many studies have been conducted regarding the supposed advantages to owning a cat. One of the longest running theories was that cats helped reduce the stress levels of their owners, a case that has been proven consistently in recent studies on the matter. A 10 year study of more than 4,000 Americans by researchers at the University of Minnesota's Stroke Institute in Minneapolis was one such confirming study. The study was one of many that found a considerable correlation between those who owned cats and had lower stress levels, this correlation in turn was seen to match with a lower amount of heart attacks, stokes and related conditions, as well as resulting death from such conditions.

The study, as well as others like it have been met with mixed reviews by the public in general. It has been suggested that people owning pets in general have lower stress levels although no conclusive studies have been made into the concept. It has also been suggested that cat owners tend not to have high-stress personalities, or they are just the type of people that are not highly affected by anxiety or high-stress situations. However, this also has no solid evidence to affirm it.

Veterinary experts, put across a plausible argument for why cats might bring more stress relief than dogs or other pets. They suggest that because because cats are lap animals that want to be petted, and it is the petting that brings down the stress levels, and heart rate and blood pressure too, in many cases. This seems to agree with the thoughts of those who conducted the research.

On the other hand it was suggested that other pets, such as dogs, need hands on attention which could actually raise the owner's stress. When you get home from work the dog demands attention, you have to take it for a walk, dogs need to be fed according to a routine. Whereas cats can practically take care of themselves, eating whenever they feel the need and requiring only attention as the owner sees fit to offer, within reason.

A reason to be skeptical, put forward by experts, is that other studies have shown quite different results. One for example, published in the American Journal of Cardiology in 1995, showed that while dog owners had a higher chance of surviving a heart attack, cat owners had a reduced chance. Director of the division of cardiology at the University of Miami, Dr Robert Myerburg, said this made sense because many people are allergic to cats, and not to dogs. He said he was surprised by this latest study, although he agreed that the results made logical sense based on his understanding of how cats can relieve stress.

Recent research shows that even the sound of a cat's purr is conducive to bone growth. Scientists are looking into using the same frequencies and vibrations in healing or halting osteoporosis, as well as in treating bone fractures. Although many are skeptical of these studies the evidence seems to be strong nonetheless.

Another similar study shows that living with a cat actually helps build a child's immune system. Some children develop a healthy resistance to asthma following significant exposure to cats. The child's ability, or lack thereof, to develop that immunity has been linked to the mother's history of cat allergies furthering the developing theory.

Although some of the claims are still being thoroughly researched to either confirm or dismiss their claims, the evidence given by the researchers and their arguments is convincing, and the prospects seem likely. Even if a few of the fantastical claims proved true cats offer wonderful health benefit, and so being a cat owner may offer unseen rewards.

Latest articles