Pressure Cracks Down Upon Young Girls

Pressure Cracks Down Upon Young Girls From the average dress size in the UK being a 12 in 1960, we can understand how calorific foods of today have bumped that average up to a size 16. Girls and women are enjoying their food more than ever and are happy with their curvacious figures; or so we would think.
In fact, the figures do not reflect the great depression amongst teenage girls about their weight.

In the UK, recent studies express how the size 6 models exhibited upon billboards, in newpapers and on the television is implanting upon vulnerable young girls brains that their figure is not good enough, and size 6 is the perfect weight to reach. The pressure forces them to believe that if they do not embrace the figure of a young boy or stick insect, then they can never be beautiful. So what we must ask ourselves now is how did it ever get this bad? Who decided that being so boney was considered beautiful? And whatever happened to the perfect shape being an hour glass figure?

What is more worrying is that the demand to be thin is not just only making girls stop eating now, but is also pushing them to replace their food with dangers such as smoking and drinking. Current figures display that 46% of girls aged 15-16 in the UK are turning to the deadly habit of smoking to replace their necessary habit of eating. They are convinced that by doing this they will lose weight and be beautiful, and are not even considering the fact that by just smoking could potentially kill them, never mind skipping meals everyday. Girls worry about their looks every 15 minutes as it is, so why should the media have the right to place more added pressure onto this? When we see models advertising chanel, or actresses at the latest premiere, they forget to mention that they are probably anorexic, that their insides are seriously damaged, their hair and teeth are brittle, their periods are irregular and the chance of them ever being able to carry a baby is close to nil.

The bullies of the media (whether they are aware of it or not) are feeding the bullies of society with a spoon, which is mentally damaging girls confidence and well being when they are called "fat" or "chubby." Unfortunately for any child born in the late 80's or beyond, will have to suffer this for the rest of their life because journalists praise something as unhealthy as a size 0.

The government is trying its best to help people give up smoking and drinking, when really is should be focusing upon helping its future generation to eat, and placing size 14-16 role models in the eye of the media.

Latest articles