Redundant Reasons for Animal Testing

Redundant Reasons for Animal Testing A status-quo is difficult to alter, especially in trends that have roots leading to even before the 1920's. When the general public gains knowledge of something easy and useful, their mind locks on to it and they grow attached. Then it’s harder to let go all the while, thinking, Where’s the harm in this? But, there is harm in lots of things, harm that some people tend to turn a blind eye to.

Animal testing is one of those trends.

An argument can be made that Animal Testing is appropriate for the industries that make products such as cosmetics, cleaning products and food - after all, better to test on animals before having testing them on humans. This was the reason for animal testing in the first place - to assure the safety of the human consumer, and, before the technology we have today for testing was created, this may have been a simple solution. However simple it may be, it is wrong.

Animals have different DNA patterns then us, and therefore, what may be safe for an animal can be unfit for a human and vice versa. How can we be sure that something tested on an animal that does work can work for us as well? What if testing things on animals is redundant, as it can prove to be harmful for humans anyway?

Nowadays, there are different methods of testing - including research with cells, the cell and tissue cultures. This proves to be a more satisfactory, less harmful and more accurate test that leads to more positive and truthful results.

However, some people, probably the same people who feel that animals have a lesser place on earth then humans do, still conduct these tests on animals ranging from rats to dogs. These organizations, due to contracts or just flat-out ignorance have yet to change their conditions for the animals they test on, and don’t seem to mind animals who end up dying from their tests.

Yes, the safety of humans is important when it comes to chemicals and products, but so is the safety of our animals. Many animals have become endangered from lack of environment, food, and other factors that are caused by humans - we shouldn’t make animal testing one of those factors.

A status-quo is a hard thing to drop out of once you’ve hopped on the bandwagon. But now there are new things we can use to ensure the safety and well being of the human race. Now, I believe it’s time to focus on the safety and well-being of the animals who suffer daily at the hands of scientists and companies who search for nothing but money from their consumers.

Say no to animal testing.

Latest articles