Pica

Pica Pica is an eating disorder that includes the ingestion, and sometimes mouthing of poisonous or inedible substances. The disorder must last for more than a month in individuals older than two years to be considered or diagnosed. Pica is most common in children and people with mental retardation but can also appear during pregnancy or in a completely normal adult. Pica is the most common eating disorder in individuals with mental disabilities. In some societies or countries Pica is considered part of the culture and not a disorder at all. In some countries, like Uganda, soil is even sold for the sole purpose of being eaten.

People with Pica have been known to ingest a number of things, including paper, soil, clay, laundry detergent, hair, needles, light bulbs, animal feces and many more. This is a serious problem that can result in many heath scares and even the loss of your life. Lead poisoning is a common result of eating paint or paint chips. The disorder can also result in parasites and GI tract problems, such as constipation, ulcers and obstructions.

The cause of Pica is mostly unknown but many people have guessed at it. In some cases malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies are thought to be a factor. In some places, mostly Southern African countries, eating clay and starch is often thought to help with morning sickness. Many women start consuming the substances during pregnancy and continue afterwards.

Stress is also thought to be a cause of Pica; neglect, abuse, or parental separation have been associated with the disorder. In people with mental retardation Pica is sometimes attributed to the inability to tell what is and isn't a food item, but these findings have been denied mostly because of an addiction or need for a certain inedible food item. Pica can also be a learned behavior coerced by consequences, these patients undergo strong consequence therapy and are taught to only ingest edible food.

There is no specific data on a racial factor of Pica but it is more common in certain countries, especially in Africa. Pica occurs equally in boys and girls, but it's rare in average men and women who live in developed countries.

Pica is mostly a mental disorder and the physical symptoms are usually related to the materials ingested. Lead poisoning is the most common and can be identified by irritability, headache, lack of coordination, seizures, and many GI tract problems. Individuals with lead poisoning should seek medical help immediately.

Pica can also result in parasite infections. Toxocariasis, which is a larva infestation, and Ascariasis are the most common soil-borne parasites. the physical symptoms of the infestations are fever, coughing, lesions or even loss of vision.

There is a wide range of GI tract problems related to Pica, such as constipation, ulcers, perforations and intestinal obstructions, these depend on what has been ingested specifically. Dental problems are also evident in those with Pica, teeth can be chipped or cracked, some lost altogether. This also depends on exactly what the individual has ingested or attempted to chew.

There is a reluctance to report Pica, so diagnosis and treatment is sometimes hard to come by. The many complications associated with Pica also hinder the treatment process, a patient must first be treated for their symptoms, which can sometimes lead to death or a coma. Patients may deny having Pica altogether, and it's common for patients to withhold information from the doctors treating them.

Pica is a scary disorder that can result in many health complications or death in some cases. Anyone with Pica should seek help immediately, before it gets worse. Pica is not really common but it's very serious and needs to be treated and taken care of as soon as possible.

Latest articles