Teen Depression: Fact vs. Fiction

Teen Depression: Fact vs. Fiction Teen depression has become an increasing problem in adolescents today. 20 percent of adolescents experience some sort of depression before reaching adulthood and between 10 to 15 percent will have some symptoms of depression at any one time. 5 percent of teens suffer from major depression at a certain time in their adolescent years and as many as 8.3 percent undergo depression for at least a year at a time, while 5.3 percent of the general population suffers from this illness. Depression is no longer just an illness for adults, teens everywhere are suffering from it.

Teen depression is a serious illness that could cause long term problems for the adolescent. Issues such as substance abuse, risky behaviors, suicide and trouble at school or work cause the individual to lose focus on what matters most. Untreated depression is the number one cause of suicide, which is the third leading cause of death in people ages 15 to 23.

Adolescent depression is caused by a majority of things. Most likely, there is some sort of dysfunction in the home. Parental abuse or stress can induce the child in depressive behaviors. Unrealistic expectations for the child leads him or her feeling low or guilty about not fulfilling their parents desires. This causes a low self worth to the adolescent. Biological factors, too, play a role in adolescent depression. Changes on hormones or a family history of depression could be leading causes of a depressed teen. Outside events, such as the death of a friend or a relative, a break up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, or failure at school also lead into a depressed individual. These adolescents often have low self esteem, are highly critical of themselves, and feel particularly low control over negative experiences.

It is said that adolescent girls are twice as likely to develop teen depression. However, it is shown that adolescent boys are just as likely to develop this illness. Girls, nonetheless, are just more likely to seek help than boys. Boys look for other ways to cope with this depression. They are more likely to seek solace in reckless behaviors, drugs/alcohol, violence, or even suicide.

There are many differences between depression in teens and depression in adults. More common in adolescents are irritable or angry moods. Rather than sadness, the adolescent is more prone to becoming hostile, frustrated and cross. This leads to the belief that it’s just hormones that are effecting the teen, and the adolescent is going through a “phase” or becoming “rebellious”. Complaints about unexplained aches and pains are frequent in teen depression. Headaches, stomachaches and back problems without medical explanations may be a result of the psychological disturbance. While most adolescents are able to take mild criticism, depressed teens often feel worthless making them extremely vulnerable to criticism, rejection and failure. Some adolescents are perfectionists, and this becomes a reoccurring problem for them with the constant feeling of not being good enough. Rather than adults, adolescents are more likely to only withdraw from some people, instead of isolating themselves from all people. Depressed teens may pull away from parents and become less social than before, but still keep a few friendships, or begin friendships with different people.

True depression in adolescents is difficult to diagnose because of the constant alternating moods. From bouts of depression to days where the individual feels great, alternating moods could last for a period of hours or days.

The line between sadness and depression is fine when diagnosing adolescents. Sadness is defined as: affected by unhappiness or grief; sorrowful or mournful. Depression is defined as: a condition of general emotional dejection and withdrawal; sadness greater and more prolonged than that warranted by any objective reason. Sadness is the opposite of happy. Without sadness, there can be no happy. Sadness is often brought on by an event or situation, and can be easily changed. Depression, on the other hand, is a constant feeling, with prolonged effects and difficultly in becoming content or happy.

Symptoms of depression continue over long periods of time, are severe, and completely change the personality of the adolescent. Changes in behavior are significant and include apathy, anger, irritability, guilt, irresponsibility, and withdrawal from social aspects of his or her life. Drug or alcohol dependence is another red flag for depressed adolescents. Insomnia, hypersomnia, fatigue, disinterest, and loss of self worth are reoccurring symptoms of depression in teens. However, symptoms vary from each individual.

Suicide is an extreme and preventable effect of depressed teenagers. Most teenagers who are clinically depressed do think about suicide - and between 15% to 30% of those teenagers who think about it, attempt suicide. There are warnings and signs before an adolescent commits suicide. Either indirectly or directly, signs range from jokes about suicide to seeking out weapons. If you suspect someone you know is contemplating suicide, don’t give up hope.

Dealing with depression as an adolescent can be a difficult and frustrating task. However, there are many ways to help it. Although a therapist is highly recommended, there are more inexpensive and simple changes one can make to help stop depression. Small lifestyle changes such as exercising, healthy diets, and yoga are simple, easy outlets for depressed moods. Relaxation techniques, also, alleviate stress and irritability.

Antidepressants are another treatment of adolescent depression. Long term effects of these medication on the brain are unknown and some antidepressants cause increased suicide thoughts in certain individuals. Though the use of antidepressants is questionable, they are proven to be helpful in many cases of adolescent depression.

Adolescent depression is a serious illness. It can make or break a teenager's life. Don’t rely on online quizzes or facts you read about, if you suspect you might have depression, contact somebody and let them know.

Sources:

webmd.com
teendepression.org
helpguide.org
depression-guide.com
psychologytoday.com
webmd.com

Latest articles