Natural Childbirth

Natural Childbirth Natural childbirth. Is there any other kind of birth? Aren’t all forms of birth natural; a completely organic body function that delivers a new life into this world? In fact, all forms of birth are a natural body function, but not all births are inherently natural. In this article, we will look at a few aspects of the natural childbirth movement, and how it is different than hospital assisted births.

The definition of Natural Childbirth

When people think of a “natural birth”, the image that most likely comes to mind is that of a woman at home in her own bed, with only a Midwife or Doula in attendance; a modern hippie of sorts that refuses to bend to societal norms. On the contrary, a natural birth can take place anywhere; at home, at a birthing center, or even in the most modern hospital. A natural birth is not a birth that takes place while the mother chants ancient texts and waves around sage bunches, but a birth that takes place with the least amount of intervention required for that specific birth. One woman’s natural birth might take place in a birthing tub, with no medication whatever, and another woman’s natural birth might involve the traditional stirrups and hospital gown. The basis of the Natural Birth movement is the idea that a woman is innately gifted with the ability and knowledge to birth her baby. By definition, however, a natural birth is one that involves the least amount of medication and intervention possible.

A brief history of Natural Childbirth

In the past, natural childbirth was the only option available to women. Most pregnant women labored at home, with only a Midwife, family physician, or female relatives in attendance. Around the turn of the century, however, cramped and unsanitary living conditions drove most poverty stricken or lower-class women to labor and deliver in the newly available hospitals, while most middle class and wealthy women continued to labor and deliver at home. In the United States, however, the middle and upper classes became increasingly receptive to the new notion of pain control and medicalization of birth. In time, this became the norm, and almost all births took place in hospitals, under heavy sedation.

In time, however, the yearning for a natural birth became desired again. Now, in modern times, women have almost limitless options for a natural childbirth. Women can choose to experience a natural birth at home alone or with a Midwife, they can deliver in a birthing center with a Midwife and Doula, where they can have all the comforts of home while being a few minutes away from the comforting technology of a hospital, or even have a completely natural birth in a hospital. The most important factor of a natural birth is that it is orchestrated by the mother and child, with the least amount of intervention necessary.

Pain relief and Natural Childbirth

When it comes to pain relief, the basis of natural childbirth is that chemical pain relief is detrimental to the mother and baby, and that it should be used sparingly, if at all. However, just because a birth is natural doesn’t mean it has to be miserable. This list covers a small corner of pain relief options for natural births.

  • Hydrotherapy
  • Massage
  • Relaxation therapy
  • Hypnosis
  • Breathing exercises
  • Vocalization
  • Visualization
  • Mindfulness
  • Water birth
  • Movement and different positions (i.e. using a birthing ball)
  • Hot and cold therapy (i.e. using hot compresses and/or cold packs)
  • Having one-on-one labor support, such as a midwife or doula

Midwifes & Doulas

Midwifes and Doulas are the base for a completely natural birth. There are differences between Midwifes and Doulas. A Midwife is someone who practices Midwifery. Midwifes and the practice of Midwifery is one of the oldest and (in prior years) most esteemed professions. In modern times, the profession of a Midwife was esteemed - wise women trained other women in the ancient arts of herbal healing, aiding in the delivery of a child. During the witch hunt craze of the 1400’s - 1700’s, though, Midwifes became perceived as witches; women who used plants and oils and remedies that people couldn’t understand to deliver a child. Many were accused of stealing away children to sacrifice to the devil, and countless numbers of these women were burned at the stake for supposed witchcraft. After the witch hunt craze died, Midwifes were few, and when the 1800’s rushed in, male dominated medicine had already taken a firm grasp on most Western cultures.

It would stay this way until the 1960’s, when “hippies” who desired completely natural, non institutionalized births would hire the rare Midwife to deliver their children. In recent years, however, due to the natural food and medicine craze, Midwifery has once again become a respected profession. In modern times, Midwifes provide more than just herbs and oils and a loving hand. Midwifes today provide prenatal care, gynecologic care, family planning, menopause solutions, and well-woman care. While they can complement each other, Midwifes are normally much different than their Obstetric partners. While a Obstetrician is trained to deal with pregnancy related illnesses and surgery, a Midwife is trained to help along a low-risk pregnancy, providing the least amount of intervention. For example, an Obstetrician is trained to actively manage labor - providing painkillers, telling a woman when and when not to push, etc. - and a Midwife is trained to intervene only when completely necessary. Midwifes believe that a woman is most in tune with her body and her child, and should follow her own natural cues in order to have a ideal birth experience.

Contrary to popular belief, Doulas are not Midwifes. The role of a Doula in a natural birth is completely different than that of a Midwife. Doulas, unlike Midwifes, are not trained medical professionals. Doulas are basically labor and delivery coaches. A Doula considers it her duty to provide physical and emotional support that the husband/partner and medical team cannot. There are two types of Doulas: Birth/Labor and Postpartum. A birth/labor Doula will provide coaching through early stage labor, most commonly provided at the woman’s home, and a postpartum Doula provides breastfeeding support, will cook meals, and might even clean house and supervise older children, letting the couple bond with the new baby interrupted. In some cases, postpartum Doulas provide care for up to a year or two after the birth, especially if the mother is suffering from postpartum depression, the baby is special needs, or in the case of a multiple birth.

In conclusion, Natural Childbirth is a subjective term, with limitless definitions and meanings. Although it might seem important to have a birth experience void of the supposed evils of technology and intervention, we have to remember that it is not the birth that is the most important event in a child’s life, but it's rearing. A child can experience a so-called “natural” birth, and still suffer greatly if it’s spiritual, emotional, and physical needs are neglected during it’s growing up years. The history of birth is solid, while the actual practices will always be evolving and changing. And in the end, birth is an introduction of a new person, a new soul, to this world of ours, and no matter how it happens, it is a wholly natural miracle.

Latest articles