Emily's Army and The Battle Against Cystic Fibrosis

Emily's Army and The Battle Against Cystic Fibrosis Cystic fibrosis is a disease affecting 30,000 people in the United States and 70,000 people worldwide.More than 1,000 cases of cystic fibrosis are diagnosed each year. Cystic fibrosis is a disease that affects the respiratory and digestive systems. The body of a cystic fibrosis patient makes a thick, sticky mucus that causes clogs in the lungs which leads to life threatening lung infections. The mucus also impairs the pancreas and prevents natural digestive enzymes for breaking down and absorbing food from reaching the intestines. These fluids also could affect the liver by blocking bile ducts and eventually causing permanent liver damage. This has happened in approximately 6% of people with CF. CF patients have frequent lung infections and poor growth and weight gain despite a good appetite.In the 1950's few children lived past grade school, however, advances in medical science have made it possible for many patients to live to their 30's, 40's and even beyond.

It takes a village to raise a child, but an army to fight a disease. Full of the strong hearted and compassionate, Emily's Army has been fighting against CF and gaining more support everyday. The organization was founded by parents of Emily Daskas, a cystic fibrosis patient. Although it was founded on her behalf, the organization supports hundreds of friends and families dealing with CF. Emily's Army is a part of many events including the annual 65 Roses golf tournament and the "Pipeline to a Cure", which invites big names from both surf and music culture,such as Green Day's singer/songwriter Billie Joe Armstrong and professional surfer Dave Kalama, to support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The battle against CF wages on and the army grows stronger and larger, gaining more supporters each day.

Visit Emily's Army to learn more about Emily's fight and Cystic Fibrosis.

Latest articles