Fast Food/ Food In America - Comments

  • Christelline

    Christelline (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I agree totally.
    My metabolism is like a cheetah on speed so I am able to eat junk that my less fortunate friends would shy away from. On top of my unhealthy diet, I smoke. My lungs are fucked up from being addicted for years. I can eat a large pizza to myself and not gain anything on my 102 pound 5'7 frame. I know that when I get older I shall have to change my lifestyle greatly.
    America does not help the weight issue with its cheap fast food and expensive healthy food. It's predicted by 2020 that 75% of Americans will be overweight. It's currently at 50%. America is the fattest nation on the planet.
    We need to seriously do something before this epidemic ruins our country.

    Great article :)
    September 26th, 2010 at 05:46am
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Actually, commenting on this shitty "I'm bored so I'm going to write something" is kind of fun. I just might keep it up here. =))
    September 26th, 2010 at 02:10am
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    tigermilk, - That doesn't make it a healthy habit and in the long run, you might find yourself craving the energy your body needs. I know that diet drinks just make me more thirsty and/ or hungry.
    September 26th, 2010 at 02:09am
  • AFI34974

    AFI34974 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Insanity's Artist -
    I didn't read the entire comment stream, but I can respond to the part where you said others' health is none of my business...

    I agree with you, but only to a point. THEIR obesity related illnesses cause my insurance costs to go up. THEIR obesity spills over onto my seat when on a plane, and If I pay for a whole seat I want the whole seat, not half of it to be shared with a fat roll. I think when your health starts to affect others' daily lives, THEN it's their business too.
    September 26th, 2010 at 12:51am
  • Cereal Killer

    Cereal Killer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I love junk food, and when the school doesn't have it, I just skip lunch and eat it after school. And I don't believe the thing about diet drinks making you gain more weight than regular ones, you don't see a lot of fat kids drinking Diet Coke by the 2 liter.
    September 25th, 2010 at 09:13pm
  • tigermilk

    tigermilk (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I drink coke zero every day and I'm getting to be as skinny as a twig, just saying...
    September 25th, 2010 at 03:44pm
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    It's not the fact that I don't like it when people don't like it ( I actually like critique) it's because a lot of people are saying it's poorly written. If ya'll think so, then I'll delete it. It's no biggy for me. I be honest with ya'll I only wrote the thing because I was bored and wanted something to do. ~*_*~ it doesn't really matter to me. Life goes on.
    September 25th, 2010 at 02:12pm
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Delete if you want to, dude. It's your article.
    Not everyone is going to like your article and no one said anything about being offended, but, yeah, sometimes you'll get comments about people being offended, but that hasn't been the case.
    You're going to have to get over negative comments and offended people. That's just how it works. Some people ONLY get negative comments, so consider yourself lucky.
    So, yes, delete if you can't handle it and don't post any more articles because that's how it works.
    And maybe the majority of people you know don't want your food 'facts' shoved in their face.
    September 25th, 2010 at 03:41am
  • Ariveria

    Ariveria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not going to say anything about the article itself (everything has already been said) but I'd like to point out that if you don't like hearing any negative opinions, then you probably shouldn't be posting articles (especially ones like this) on a site that allows easy feedback. You'll get offended comments, so if you can't handle that, don't post.
    September 25th, 2010 at 02:43am
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    How about I just delete the damn thing? Goodness. Sometimes looking at the worse it what it takes. And I'm not talking about just one person NEIN. I'm talking about the majority of people that I know of.

    You want me to delete it because I'll easily do so? I don't like hearing people's comments about feeling offended.
    September 25th, 2010 at 12:42am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Dude, chill. No need to get testy.

    Yeah, YOUR weight/health problems ARE [i]your[/i] problem, but anyone else's weight/health problems due to the food they eat or whatever are NOT your problem. If I gain weight because I had a chicken nuggets meal with a large drink from McDonald's after school, I don't want you or anyone else talking to me about it. I'm gonna eat what I want, and no, I won't gain that much weight, even when I'm older.

    I say that because I have more of my dad's genes than my mom's, and in his family, there is a high metabolism that doesn't 'catch up to you' as bad as you say it will. He eats like a pig and all he has is a beer belly looking gut because he CAN'T exercise due to his bad knees. If he wasn't stuck in his chair all the time, he'd be as skinny as he was when he was sixteen.

    Some people really won't gain much weight. That's how their bodies work. Some people will. But it's not your job or the government's to tell them how to eat. If their health is actually threatened then someone, as in a doctor or relative, should talk to them about it. But not you, unless your said relative, or the government.

    Yes, you DO need to back up what you say, for the exact reason you stated: facts can come from anywhere, such as false sources. If I see you don't have anything to really back up your facts, I'm not going to take you seriously. Anyone can say anything. I can say 'studies show that the only way to lose weight is to drink diet soda' without backing it up with several sources and all you have is my word to go on. That's not enough. You need to show where you learned the things you state if you want to get your point across.

    As for your title, it's okay that you don't have that "gift" [but it's not a gift actually]. I told you that because in future articles, you need to try and make clearer, better titles. Get help with it if you need to, but titles like that really aren't all that appealing.
    September 24th, 2010 at 11:55pm
  • the apex predator;;

    the apex predator;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on diet soda equaling weight gain. People have the ability to say no to extra food after eating diet soda, so it's not the diet soda that equals weight gain. I, for one, have Diet Coke all the time and eat little to nothing afterwards. I don't crave sugar or eat mass amounts of sugar or even a little. It's all in what the person decides to do after they drink it. It's no fault of the soda's. You could put that it [i]can[/i] [b]lead[/b] to weight gain, but not that it does.

    I agree with [b]Audrey T.[/b] on everything else.
    September 24th, 2010 at 02:41pm
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    I live in Australia and so I've never understood why American students and children go to school and have a cafeteria that feeds them. Here we have canteens where you can go and buy food but even then most people who go to the canteen have a packed lunch they eat as well.

    It makes me wonder why American parents don't pack their kids' lunches as well. A nice healthy one instead of just thinking "Oh it's the school's job to feed my kid!" - even if the cafeteria is free food.

    To be honest, I'd rather spend more money on good food than be sent to a cafeteria where the food is barely food but it's free. :/

    Like, isn't that one of the responsibilities of a parent along with proving shelter, health care and an education - to feed and clothe their kids?

    Idk, it seems weird to me. I think it's not all your government's fault - I think it's the parents fault too. That and your schools and parents AND government should be educating kids better to make healthy choices too.
    But that doesn't just go for the people of the US. That goes for the kids growing up everywhere in the world.

    Oh by the way, Australia's the fattest country in the world - not the US - which would probably surprise a lot of people. 49% of our population are overweight. I'm happy to say I'm not one of them.
    September 24th, 2010 at 06:41am
  • starbella

    starbella (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    "The secret behind it all" Umm this was almost like false adfertising. I learned about diet soda's but I really didn't see any types of "Secret" about fast food. Yes, EVERYONE knows fast food/soda/ junk food is bad for you but you forgot to mentioan it's FINE IN MODERATION. If I eat a twinkie i'm not exactly going to gain 500 pds. Oh and fries(potatoes) are a vegi, They are not jusnk food. But yes they can make you fat because they are a starch. So the example you used with french fries really doesn't go along with this article, it is not fast food/junk food or what ever, Yeah, I'm sorry this sounds so mean but really i'm just giving my honest opinion. :/ Oh! And FYI please, it helps so much if you don't use cuss words such as crappy, suck, ect. Yes they may not seem very cuss-like but they will drive people away from a good arcticle, try finding something else to use like horendous or instead of fat use obese, stuff like that.
    September 24th, 2010 at 05:42am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Michael Moore is known for being biased and only reporting the worst aspects of a subject, not the whole truth. He's not a very good source.
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:44am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I read through all of it, twice, because I had to approve it for posting. The majority of your article was blaming schools and the fast food industry for the choices of teenagers. Perhaps if, like Insanities Artist suggested, your article was better organized, your message would have been clearer. But I read an article where you went on and on about schools not providing healthier foods for students and fast food restaurants creating unhealthy meals.

    I went to high school for four years and even though that was four years ago, I very much doubt that teenagers have gotten any dumber or less responsible since then.

    [i]Do I honestly have to back up everything I said? What's wrong with stating facts I know? They could be from anywhere. I don't find that completely necessary. And I'm not good with Article Titles. Sorry, not everyone has that gift.[/i]

    Of course you do. If you write an article that's supposed to be persuasive (and I think this was) then you need to be able to stand up to rebuttals and support your opinions.
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:29am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I think your tone came off as...pretty condescending in this article. That's not to say that the article itself wasn't decent, but the way it was presented may have flared some tempers. I definitely felt like I was being a bit talked down to/condemned.
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:20am
  • NEIN

    NEIN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I do not agree :O
    i have had asthma since before
    i could eat a freaking hamburger
    or go to school!!! and i have drank DIET SODA all my LIFE
    i am NOT 500 pounds thank you and i do NOT eat junk food EVERY DAY
    and i do NOT starve because of DIET SODA hehehehe WTF are you talking about?
    i merely eat twice a day ":O and thats home food not fry's from a MD

    I'm totally LOST with this artical of yours
    and i can prove everything that's wrong with it
    with MY LIFE omg ':/
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:19am
  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    (to both of you) Oh yeah and I'm blaming both sides. If I didn't make that clear, I'm making it clear now.

    Insanity's Artist - And it is kind of my problem because the school lunch has helped me get high blood pressure. So... I think it is my problem. I'm prone to almost every known illness linking to food and if something is affecting me, it's my damn problem.

    Do I honestly have to back up everything I said? What's wrong with stating facts I know? They could be from anywhere. I don't find that completely necessary. And I'm not good with Article Titles. Sorry, not everyone has that gift.
    September 24th, 2010 at 03:00am
  • rosewater tide.

    rosewater tide. (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I'm proud that I don't eat fast food. It's disgusting.
    September 24th, 2010 at 02:55am