Chewing and Spitting : The New Eating Disorder

Chewing and Spitting : The New Eating Disorder Forget anorexia and bulimia, chewing and spitting has become the latest trend in eating disorders. It is more common than people realize and the people who do it don't realize that it is very serious and could lead to other eating disorders.

Chewing and spitting is exactly as it sounds. It is when a person tastes their food, chews it and then spits it out so that they may enjoy the flavor of the food without packing on the pounds. Instead of trying to lose weight naturally, they feel the "chewing and spitting" method is more effective. They want the enjoyment of the food without worrying about the calories they are consuming. A lot of people who "chew and spit" do not want to starve or binge their food so they choose this method.

What are the consequences of chewing and spitting? Well reasons why it is harmful to the health is because it is not allowing nutrients in the body and can lead to starvation, depriving the body of all the food that it needs. It can cause ulcers (which are sores that don't heal usually found in the gut or stomach). Another harmful consequence is jaw pain. Chewing and spitting is a foundation for all the other eating disorders. Instead of weight loss it can actually lead to weight gain because of when the body is in starvation mode it starts to store fat other than getting rid of it. It can lead to insulin resistance which can lead to diabetes.

Is chewing and spitting an actual eating disorders? Well some experts argue yes, some argue no. The definition of an eating disorder is " an complex compulsion to eat in a way which disturbs physical and mental and psychological health." People who usually chew and spit are coping with some psychological problem. There will always be some debate to whether or not it is an eating disorder. I'll let the readers decide.

Chewing and Spitting causes more problems than solutions. If you know a person who is chewing and spitting get them some help because it is sending them down the wrong path. Even though it is not an official eating disorder it deserves as much as attention as bulimia or anorexia because it is equally as dangerous. As Les Brown says " Someone's opinion of you doesn't have to become a reality."

Latest articles