FDA: The PETA of Anti-Smoking?

FDA: The PETA of Anti-Smoking? In the past, organizations like PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and Truth (an anti-smoking website/campaign) have received flack for their sometimes heavy-handed protests and shocking advertisement tactics. From comparing animal slaughter houses to the holocaust, to images of decayed and cancerous organs, these ads have often received negative feedback for being “too much.” As private organizations with the sole purpose of changing consumers' view of what they believe to be harmful products, we understand and accept their forceful ads. But what happens when this kind of scare tactic and gruesome representations starts coming from our government agencies?

Under new regulations set up within The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (signed into law in 2009), tobacco companies are required to place larger warning labels on their products. These new warning labels will not only include a written warning but a graphic image to accompany it. Each new label will be required to cover up no less than 50% of the product's packaging and 20% of any print ad space.

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has been granted the task of creating these labels and some feel that they may have gone too far with the graphic and perhaps even disturbing images. Among the labels created are photographs and illustrations of children with smoke being blown into their faces, diseased organs, corpses, cemeteries, crying family members, and much more.

Though for some people, more regulations on tobacco advertisement and information on it's health risks is a welcomed change, others are crying foul. While many can agree that warning labels on cigarettes (and alcohol, for that matter) are appropriate, some argue that the images are too graphic and too closely resembles the “shock advertising” organizations like PETA are well known for. The general feeling among those who disapprove of the new warning label is that it's too forceful to be placed on a product. These new labels are also thought to place harsh limitations on tobacco companies' product packaging design and hindering their business, in addition to condemning their merchandise, and stereotyping and shaming their customers. As stated by Neil Rafferty of Forest (a smoker's lobby group) when the UK faced similar reformation, “The government is bullying smokers simply because they can get away with it.” And Rafferty may have the right idea. These kinds of “warning labels” could easily be viewed as the government's attempt to force smokers to quit, making it an issue of too much government control over personal choices and too much restriction on product advertising.

But the newer labels have (arguably) proved to be effective in the past. Currently, more than thirty countries mandate that tobacco companies use the larger image labels. Many reports suggest that consumers in those countries do contemplate the risks of smoking much more than consumers in countries who still use smaller labels, but there is very little actual evidence that bigger labels persuade more smokers to quit (or never start) smoking - Canada, who implemented the newer bigger labels in 2000/2001, being one of the few who have seen a significant decline in smoking rates (from 26% to 20%).

As the FDA continues to plan for these new labels, they are asking the public to send in their opinions and comments. Between November 12, 2010 (just a week shy of The Great American Smokeout) and January 11, 2011, the public can submit comments on this issue, and have their opinions heard and taken into consideration. By June 22, 2010, all plans, labels and graphics will be finalized, and from that date, tobacco companies will have fifteen months to fully comply.

Sources

  1. Cigarrette Warnings: Is Bigger Better?
  2. (CBS News, 2/2007)
  3. F.D.A. Unveils Proposed Graphic Warning Labels for Cigarette Packs
  4. (The New York Times, 11/2010)
  5. Feds Want Corpses, Rotting Teeth on Cigarette Packages
  6. (AOL News, 11/2010)
  7. Feds Propose Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels
  8. (Yahoo! Finance 11/2010)
  9. Proposed Cigarette Product Warning Lables
  10. (FDA, 11/2010)
  11. Smokers to Face Picture Warnings
  12. (BBC, 08/2007)

Latest articles