HIV/AIDS: A Growing Pandemic

HIV/AIDS: A Growing Pandemic Many people all over the world suffer daily with their battle with HIV/AIDS, but it is primarily in Africa. “Two-thirds of all people infected with HIV/AIDS live in Africa.” AIDS has caused great human suffering in this continent. One of the greatest effects of this crisis is illness, but the majority of this epidemic has not been confined in hospitals because there are so few of them. HIV-related diseases occupy more than half of all hospital beds. Hospitals are struggling to handle this many people, especially in poorer African countries where there are too few beds available. This means that people are being taken in later than needed, reducing chances of surviving. Houses, schools, workplaces and economies, due to the expense of healthcare, have been affected.

Many Africans have also perished from this epidemic. “During 2008 alone, an estimated 1.4 million adults and children died as a result of AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa. Since the beginning of the epidemic, more than 15 million Africans have died from AIDS." This is due to the lack of support for these poor people. The people of the United States need to send support over there to help people, who are just like us.

Today, many people are trying to do all they can to help prevent, stop, and cure HIV/AIDS. "I used to stay with the children, but now it is a problem. I have to work in the fields. Last year I had more money to hire labor so the crops got weeded more often. This year I had to do it myself,” stated Angelina from Zimbabwe, a widow whose husband has been killed by the disease. To pay for huge medical costs, life savings are used up or family possessions are sold. Thus, making the poverty even higher, and lowering the economy. Women need to take extra jobs to pay for necessities. This quote was from a mother who had to take in extra work to pay for her daughter’s medical treatment, which is very costly.

As you can see, the people of the United States of America need to help these people. We can send money and help work for a cure. This could help many people, and save many lives.

Sources

The Impact of HIV & AIDS on Africa

Latest articles