The Benefits of Fruit Juice

The Benefits of Fruit Juice Fruits can be presented to us in a number of different ways: fresh, whole, sliced, puréed, frozen or blended, just to name a few. Fruit juice is fast becoming a way that people around the world gain their daily serves of fruits. In an average glass (approx. 250mL) of fresh fruit juice there is one and a half servings of fruit. Drinking fruit juice has also been linked to a higher intake of essential nutrients that people may not get in other foods.

But be careful! Whilst Fresh fruit juice is good for you, fruit juices with added sugar or corn syrup will decrease in nutritional value. It is also important to note that Fruit juice should not be consumed in excessive amounts. One glass a day is usually recommended.

Fruit juices tend to have good health benefits. Apple Juice doesn’t have particularly high nutrient levels, but includes the mineral nutrient boron, which is good for healthy bones. The University of Massachusetts has also conducted studies that suggest it increases acetylcholine in the brain, which improves memory. Orange Juice is well known for its high Vitamin C content, which helps to boost the immune system. It also contains high amounts of Folate, which assist in cell reproduction, essentially helping the healing process.

However, Apple and Orange Juice aren’t the only ones out there. In fact, there are lots of other juices that have far greater health benefits. Tomato Juice is an excellent source of Lycopene, an antioxidant that prevents cancerous growths. It also improves blood circulation and lowers blood pressure. Because of the lower sugar and acidic levels, it is considered okay to drink in large quantities.

Mango Juice has a low acid content, and contains enzymes that are “stomach-soothing”, meaning that it is a good thing to drink when you have an upset stomach. Studies have suggested that it reduces the risk of heart disease and stress. It contains large amount of iron, unlike other fruits, which can contribute to one’s daily intake of iron, particularly if you struggle to get enough in your diet.

Cranberry Juice is one of the most beneficial fruit juices that one can drink. Its high fibre content makes it unique amongst other juices. Many fruits lose their fibre content when they are squeezed into juice, but cranberries do not. This makes it a prime ingredient for a healthy, clean digestive system. This juice also helps increase good cholesterol and decrease low cholesterol, creating a healthy cardiovascular system. The acid content helps to prevent kidney stones, and a natural chemical in the juice stops bacteria from sticking to teeth, preventing tooth decay.

Most fruits contain natural sugars and acids, some higher than others. Buying fresh fruit juice or 100% fruit juice is a good way to avoided added sugars. Another way to balance out the sugar intake from fruit juice is to dilute it with water. This way, you still get your nutrients and vitamins and quench your thirst, but with less negative health impacts.

Latest articles